Trying to replace 2gang switch with funky switch.........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone can help out here.

I currently have a standard 2 gang light switch in my back room that I want to replace with a funky looking touch switch....

The standard switch has the following terminals:
Top... L1 L2 COMMN
Bottom... COMMON L1 L2

Of which Top row the L2 (black wire) and COMMON (red wire) are used and the bottom row the COMMON (red wire) and L2 (black wire) are used.

That's all well and good if both switches were same cos. would just do like for like....but.

The new switch has 1 row of terminals on it accross the top and they are (left to right)
OUT L4
OUT L3
OUT L2
OUT L1
IN L

L3 and L4 have no screw terminals in.

Is it that I just put both red common wires into the IN L terminal and then the blacks out of L1 and L2 respectively.......

Will post pics of switches when. Fathom out how too.

Cheers Gary

Sponsored Links
Fisrt of all, please understand how your old switch is laid out.

It is two halves, denoted by the ridge in the middle. Like this.

So you have two circuits.

Do not know what your new switch is.
Who makes it, (FUNKY? lol)
what model,
what do the instructions say about connections,
can we see a photo of the FRONT?

It is POSSIBLE that it COULD work if you put both reds into The L IN and one black into OUT 1 and the other into OUT 2.

But you'd need to know if the reds are on the same lighting circuit first.

Where is this switch to be located (please don't say in the hall)/.

PROBABLY the two reds are permanent live and the two blacks are the switched lives, but you should confirm by identifying the switch cables via continuity tests at the lights - with the power off look in each light for what should be the switch cable, and check for continuity/no continuity as the switch is closed and opened.

Then follow the wiring diagram for the switch.

Sponsored Links
Just essential you make sure that both those reds are from the same lighting circuit - Do both the lights that switch control go out when you remove just one circuit fuse/turn off one MCB?

You should then confirm that both the reds are the lives (as BAS says).

If so, then yes, both reds into the Lin and the blacks to the two outs individually.

I would say as this new switch requires no neutral, then it will have some limitations on the lamp types it can switch - so double check this.

Here is the front of the switch...

Just found the company website..... This is the blurb from the page that shows the switch

Touch Switch (2Gang 1 Way):

*Front panel is high quality crystal glass, scratch and humid resistant, will never fade

*Various color and design panels are available.

*With LED indicator, can find the position of the switch easily in darkness, very distinguished.

* E-start, no sparking contacts.

*More humanization design: the lamp is off when the incoming of electricity again, save electricity.

* No voice when you turn on/off lights, keep your home or office silence.

*Single live wire control, easy to install, replace the old switch directly.

*All brand new imported IC, with more excellent performance and more sensitive touch.

*Applicable to all the common lamps, such as incandescent, fluorescent lamps, led lamps and so on.

Technical Parameters:

Dimension: 86*86*33MM

Operating voltage: AC110V-240V/50Hz~60Hz.

Rated load: 5-300W/Way

Self consuming power: Less than 1mA

Operating environment: -20~50°C,Less than 95%RH

Life long:>100,000 times

Well both lights go out when I flick the circuit breaker on the fuse box, So I take it that means its on the same circuit....

Will have a bash at wiring it up tomorrow and let you know how it went.

Cheers Gary

A Big Big thank you to you all for your help and assistance with my light switch problem

All sorted out now and fully working

Cheers Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back