TT systems and cu set ups

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read in a different thread that if you have a TT system then you need to have a cu with a time delay 100mA RCD feeding everything, and then a 30mA RCD for all the power circuits etc. (have I got it right?)I have recently been looking at my house electrics (something I should have done before I moved in I know) and I have a TT system but with a split load cu with double pole 100A main switch. I also do not have any bonding on pipework etc. that I can see anyway. Is this required with a TT system?

I do have a 16th ed regs book, but at the moment I cannot find it.
Any help or any good web links on this matter would be appreciated, I really need to find out if everything is safe, and if not, what I need to do to make it safe.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes! You need MEB's & supplementary in the bathroom.

You also should have RCD-protection to give rapid disconnection times, as your TT Ze will most probably be too high to achieve this without.

I would fit a split-load board with 100mA S type RCD where your incomer is, or others here have a different solution. Calling John!!

Another option, which means you can stick with the board you've got, is to ask your DNO to give you a TN-C-S (or PME) connection.

But either way, you def need MEB's & supplementary, if you have nothing ATM.

Thanks for the swift replies lads.

I think I will go for the 100mA RCD, is it a straight swap for the double pole main switch? By this I mean does anything else need changing on the board? And I will get the MEB and the supplementory bonding sorted asap.

Sponsored Links
It should be a straight swop. Make sure its a time delayed one and get one the same make as your existing main switch - some busbars are offset and you may have problem if you get a different make...

You will, of course be testing the RCD once its installed? An RCD tester is needed for that.

TTC

It should be a straight swop. Make sure its a time delayed one and get one the same make as your existing main switch - some busbars are offset and you may have problem if you get a different make...

You will, of course be testing the RCD once its installed? An RCD tester is needed for that.

TTC

Make sure it is time delayed to provide discrimination between the 30mS and the 100mS RCDs

MKStypeRCD.jpg

If you can't get one to fit in the CU you can fit one in a separate enclosure between the meter and the CU.

If you decide to change your CU make sure you can get a suitable RCD for it (Not all manufacturers supply them)

Yeh I think I will have to get one in a separate enclosure as my cu is a Legrand(Tenby?), and I am having trouble finding an RCD of the same make.
I am not sure what my incoming fuse is but am I right in saying I need an RCD rated at 100A?
And yes I will be testing the RCD after installation :)

Shouldn't that be the CU must be insulated (not metal clad) if the tails are not RCD protected?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back