TT to pme..main bonding..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Following on from my other post, the DNO came out and done a Ze test, which passed.

I've been told they will send a letter asking for conformation of main bonding and for a earthing terminal to be fitted, when that is signed and sent off, they can install the PME earth.

Now, can I do this myself and what needs to be done?

Water supply comes in via plastic then to copper in the meter cupboard, so that's easy. Also running through this cupboard is a copper pipe to the hob from an external LPG bottle the other side of the wall, does this need to be bonded too?

All the other pipes, in bathroom etc have supplementary bonding.

So install a 4 or 8 way earth block near the cut out and run 2 16m2 earth cables (I know it's too big but I have a reel of it) to the water and gas pipes via pipe earth clamps?

Sponsored Links
Yep. The gas will definately need bonding within 600mm of the point of entry to your property.

Does the water come in in plastic and then change to copper inside the property?

Yep. The gas will definately need bonding within 600mm of the point of entry to your property.

Does the water come in in plastic and then change to copper inside the property?

Yup, comes in plastic, then place is plumbed fully copper.

I can do all this myself and consider myself competent but will they be happy with this, am I allowed basically!!

Yes, definitely not notifiable...

...and you can test with your new meter, so all above board. :)

Sponsored Links
I would say you probably dont need to bond the water, but it's going to save any arguments later on if it's done.

I'd say you're competent to run and connect the bonding, but I'm not quite sure whether the DNO will want something signed by an electrician, or if it's just a case of get a signature to pass the buck if anything happens as a result of inadequate bonding.

Yes, definitely not notifiable...

...and you can test with your new meter, so all above board. :)

Ha...!

I missed out on that one but I'm deffo getting one.

I've been reading up on the functions and now I understand them alot more.

I would say you probably dont need to bond the water, but it's going to save any arguments later on if it's done.

I'd say you're competent to run and connect the bonding, but I'm not quite sure whether the DNO will want something signed by an electrician, or if it's just a case of get a signature to pass the buck if anything happens as a result of inadequate bonding.

Ok, thanks.

I'll bond the water anyway.

I'll wait untill the letter comes through and see what it says first.

They did say they would do a few quick visual checks first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back