Tubular latch for garden gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably a stupid question, but can you get a tubular latch that could be used on a garden gate?

I have modern town garden and am struggling to find a suitable latch (they all seem to be victorian rose style).

I have a spare front door handles, which would go well aesthetically. So I was thinking if it's possible to get a tubular latch I could use those. I've checked the handles fit on the timber frame and look fine aesthetically.

Sponsored Links
Alternatively has anyone found a modern/contemporary latch like this:

9934dba431c36448044d1add4da685ce--fence-gate-design-backyard-fences.jpg

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 221
tubular latches are almost always intended for internal use, and have metal parts inside that will quickly rust outdoors. Doorknobs will tarnish and usually have steel springs and spindles that will rust.

On my garden gate I have an old Chubb lock where all the moving parts are brass or stainless, and I have painted the steel case thoroughly.

There are very few rim latches seen with all-brass or stainless parts. You will find them made for boats. Yottie shops have a special pricing policy intended to separate boat owners from their money.

A black iron ring latch like eta suggests is widely available.
here are a few
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?query=gate latch
I prefer to get Galvanised and paint them myself, but you can get ready painted ones.

Is there anything special about a tubular latch that makes it particularly suitable for your needs?

Sponsored Links
Unless you have a really beefy timber to install a tubular latch in, the gate could be substantially weakened. Surely a surface-mount latch would be better?

where did you see the image, is that not sold , if thats the type you want
https://www.gatehingesboltslatchesa...uct/corfe-handle-6-ring-latch-black.html#next

Sorry for late replies. Didnt get any alerts :(, think forum automatically sets to watch without email alert.

I found the image on google by searching for gate latches and then selecting images. I find that useful when search terms arent narrowing down what I need. In this case I searched modern gate latch, but kept getting the old fashioned rose style in the results, so switched to images in order to easily filter the results. Unfortunately this time, whilst it gave me the image of what I wanted, I couldn't find an actual supplier. Tried a reverse image search but nothing useful was returned :(

Thanks for your link. Bit expensive, but looks like what I want.

Last edited:
Unless you have a really beefy timber to install a tubular latch in, the gate could be substantially weakened. Surely a surface-mount latch would be better?

It's a chunky gate (by design). The frame should be fine with a tubular latch. But surface mount would be easier if I can find one that doesn't look like its an antique :)

Thanks, I've been looking at those for the front gate. So I can access from the outside (stick the pushcair/bike in alley storage etc).

But it wont work for this second gate. My house is on quite a steep incline. So the back garden has been raised 1.2-2m above ground level. The gate in question is to the stairs which lead down to alley. So I don't need security, its their to prevent the kids falling down the stairs :)

I just want a latch/handle to open and close it. With a bolt on the inside, out of reach of the kids, so we can secure it when they're playing in the garden without us there.

Last edited:
tubular latches are almost always intended for internal use, and have metal parts inside that will quickly rust outdoors. Doorknobs will tarnish and usually have steel springs and spindles that will rust.

On my garden gate I have an old Chubb lock where all the moving parts are brass or stainless, and I have painted the steel case thoroughly.

There are very few rim latches seen with all-brass or stainless parts. You will find them made for boats. Yottie shops have a special pricing policy intended to separate boat owners from their money.

A black iron ring latch like eta suggests is widely available.
here are a few
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?query=gate latch
I prefer to get Galvanised and paint them myself, but you can get ready painted ones.

Is there anything special about a tubular latch that makes it particularly suitable for your needs?

I suspected a tubular latch would fall apart and probably when I'm on the wrong side of the gate :( I wasn't too worried about the handle as I'd use external handles.

Thanks for the link to the latches. I looked on ironmongery direct already. They are very old fashioned and look a bit odd in comparison to the garden. The one eta linked to looks tolerable though, so may just opt for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back