Tulip Wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know the wood is very light but it does have some colour in it.
Streaks of red, green and etc. I am just having a problem bring them out.

I have tried finishing oil, reviving oil, clear wax, wax/oil finish but it still look very bland.

By contrast I have used finishing oil on the other piece and the colours are brilliant.

Any idea how I can do the same with the Tulip Wood.

Attachments

• WP_20161126_006.jpg
    WP_20161126_006.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 220
  • WP_20161217_002.jpg
    WP_20161217_002.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 200
Sponsored Links
Tulip wood is basically poplar. Poplar when freshly cut can exhibit colours from olive green through pinkiush reds to pale brown. Unfortunately the action of light seems to cause this colour to degrade quite quickly and the greens will turn to browns whilst the pinky reds to browns tend to turn darker brown to black. AFAIK you cannot stop this action

I have put several coats of finishing oil on it and it does look good with streaks of green and lighter pinks and browns I will now wait for them to turn brown and black as you say. Pity but I will know next time.

Sponsored Links
Many years ago I had a client who asked me to trim out a rather unusual walkway above the kitchen units in her converted dairy. She came to the workshop and saw a big stack of poplar which was streaked with a beautiful olive green shade (we used it for rough framing on caravan interiors because it is light and cheap). She insisted on having that timber. She was most disappointed, however, when the olive green turned to pale brown and in a couple of places to a dark brown colour, although it did take about 2 or 3 years for that change to happen

Probably that will be me in a few years although I have lined two walls with plywood and waxed them with Briwax mahogany so the brown will probably go quite well with that or the other walls which are a soft yellow. Probably quite interesting to see the colours change. I also have oak, olive and other slices of wood as shelves so the variety will be interesting

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back