Tumble Dryer Capacitor - 2 or 4 terminals?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am replacing a tumble dryer capacitor. The capacitor is definitely at fault.

I have removed the original and it has 2 terminals. There were actually four wires to be removed, 2 pairs, each pair connected to 1 terminal (presumable a cheap way of mass producing the various models with 90% of the parts in common).

Can I replace the original 2 terminal capacitor with a 4 terminal capacitor (matching the pairs of wires and pairs of terminals corectly), or is a 4 terminal capacitor completely different? What is the difference?

Hope someone can help - haven't found much on these while searching away.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can replace it with a 4 way one.

Excellent - thank you. Do you know the difference. Would an 8uF capacitor with 4 terminals be 2 4uF capcacitors in parallel?

No 8 uf is 8 not half. Most dryers work on 7. 8 just gives it a better kick. All caps do is store the power to kick start the motor.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

yes I know 8uf is 8uf. Thats why I'm wondering if a 4 terminal capacitor is internally two 4uF capacitor, 4uF + 4uF being 8uF. I'm trying to work out why some capacitors have four terminals and others 2. Must be something to do with the internals. That or 4 terminal caps are used when you need a higher frequency discharge i.e. a drum that changes direction?

IT depends on the motor windings. Some Use 2 , some have a step motor , I don't know of a dryer that goes one way only. Both ways means anti crease.

More to these tumble dryers than I thought - I just remember my really old dryer going only way. I guess all the modern ways change direction now. I was reminiscing back in the day of reading Horrowitz and Hill the Art of Electronics.

Thanks for your help - will whack a 4 terminal capacitor in as these seem more readily available as universal spares than 2 terminal capacitors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back