tune up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was thinking about installing the tune up program on my computer. Any good and bad points about it and if it is worth the money.

Thanks

Thornton

Sponsored Links
Just be careful, a lot of the so called "tune up" software hide a virus behind their skirts.

why not reformat instead, its safer. some of these programs for tuning up over clock the processors somehow or so im to beleive.

Sponsored Links
The reason i was wanting to use tune up was because my computer is freezing regularly now and was thinking something along the lines of tuneup may clean it up. What actually causes a computer to freeze.

Thanks

Thornton

I use 7 programs to keep my comps running sweet.

AVG FREE - Anti Virus Software
Avast FREE - Anti Virus Software
Spybot, Search and Destroy - FREE - Spyware, adware and malware Scanner
Ad-aware - FREE - Spyware, adware and malware scanner
Zone Alarm - FREE - Internet Firewall
CCleaner - FREE - Spyware & General remover of crap.
Spyware Blaster - FREE - Spyware, adware and malware scanner.

The reason I double up (and some people will differ on this) is because some of the programs miss things if the companies latest update isn't out.

I've had one trojan, sent to me from a trusted source, who unknown to me had accepted a file from a stranger. Got rid no problem.

EDIT - As all the above are free.. Costs nothing :D

You can buy full versions which have more features, but I've never felt the need.

I had all that stuff installed but it really slowed my computer down. A expert cleaned them all off and said just use adware and cc cleaner.
Ray B :eek:

RayB said:
I had all that stuff installed but it really slowed my computer down. A expert cleaned them all off and said just use adware and cc cleaner.
Ray B :eek:

I think your 'expert' needs to reconsider what he is an expert at, because it certainly is NOT computer security.

For a start, Ccleaner is NOT a security screener, it simply cleans your computer of unwanted files and program 'left-overs' after an uninstall.

The 'stuff' that you had installed, if it was some from the list that 'material buyer' quotes, would not drastically slow down any PC as most of it is run by manual start up and you would not run more than one program at a time.

A word of warning to 'material buyer', it is not recommended to have more than one antivirus program installed,as they can cause conflict if accidentally left on together.

Along with a forum pal, we have compiled a list of FREE security programs that are used by thousands worldwide.
Remember to regularly check for updates to any security software you have installed, before running them.

If the mods permit it, this is the list:

SOME FREE SECURITY SOFTWARE AND WHERE TO OBTAIN IT
Free Software Firewalls.
Only have one software firewall operating and
remember to turn off Windows firewall if using another.

Zone Alarm Firewall
ZoneAlarm Firewall
Or Here
Comodo Firewall
Sunbelt Kerio
Ashampoo Firewall
Spyware Blaster
AdAware
A Squared (A²)
AVG AntiSpyware
SuperAntiSpyware
Windows Defender
AVG Anti-virus free
AVG
Or Here
Or Here
Avast Anti-virus
Avast
Or Here
AOL Active Virus Shield
AOL
ATF Cleaner
Smitfraud Fix
CWShreader
If you cannot get to any of the links then use
File Hippo and look at their home page for what you want:
http://www.filehippo.com/
Or Majorgeeks
http://www.majorgeeks.com/
THERE ARE OTHER FREE PROGRAMMES BUT THESE TO BE GOING ON WITH.

dave

thornton said:
The reason i was wanting to use tune up was because my computer is freezing regularly now and was thinking something along the lines of tuneup may clean it up. What actually causes a computer to freeze.

Thanks

Thornton

Firstly, how often do you run disk cleanup and also defrag.
If not very often then run disk cleanup from
Start > All programs > Accessrories > System Tools >

Windows defrag tool is not the best in the world, so download Diskeeper Lite free from
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207
and when installed, check for updates and then, if you have more than one hard drive select C; and Analyse then select Defrag.
You can see the progress and, depending on how defragged the drive is depends the time it takes.

After that, download Superantispyware from my list above and update and run it. Let it remove anything it finds.

Then download Ccleaner and check for updates. Watch the tutorial video about how to use it:
Tutorial Video at: Using Ccleaner

and then scan for issues using the tick boxes as shown in the tutorial. When it offers, make a backup folder in MY Documents and let it remove all it found.
Then select Cleaner, Analyse and then Run Cleaner.

That should stop your PC freezing and speed it up a little.

dave

Hi Thornton,

They have all veered way off your original question. I have tune up installed and it is scheduled to run every friday night. Its good value for money. Cleans and repairs the registry. Defrags and compacts it. Also removes all junk files from your pc (DON'T EVER TICK THE 0 BYTE ONES).

Allows you to adjust windows startup progs and frees up ram etc, so i would recommend it. It has always worked a treat for me :)

Regards

Neil

thornton said:

Thanks

Thornton

I know this thread is a month old but if Thornton is still watching it ....
You could get the free trial download of TuneUp Utilities 2007 and try it to see if you like it before throwing 30 quid at it.
http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/
If you don't like it, try some of the free stuff mentioned by people above.
dave

Sponsored Links
Back