tung oil problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I recently started oiling a solid oak worktop in our kitchen. I'm using Liberon pure tung oil. Followed instructions which were to start with a 50/50 oil / white spirit mix then wipe off after half an hour, then repeat every 24 hours gradually reducing the ratio of white spirit. After 7 coats I've left it to dry. Problem is its not drying at all. I have a loose, waxy layer that is gradually flaking off and it looks horrible to be honest. I think I may have applied too much or not wiped enough off? Would it be an idea to apply another thinned out mix to act as a solvent then wipe off as much as I can? it was looking really nice up to the 4th/5th layer.
thanks,

Simon.

Sponsored Links
After applying there should not be any left on the surface to dry, any surplus need removing, you should be able to remove with a little white spirit and fine wire wool.The idea is to feed the oil into the wood not coat it with oil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back