Tungsten Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tungsten Lighting was always required on rotating machinery due to stroboscopic effect from discharge lights. Although I realise HF units do not have the same problem. I have not seen anything which officially allows one to do away with tungsten lighting on laths etc.
With the withdrawal of tungsten lights I wonder what is the recommended replacements which would comply with factories act? Discharge does not like DC and LED's are not really bright enough. And of course would need a smooth DC supply or they could still have a stroboscopic effect.

I do wonder if the DIY sheds should have warning about lighting used with grindstones etc. However many do not comply with regulations anyway and will auto re-start after a power cut. We always supplied via an active RCD to redress this problem.

I know my grind stone has a 25 volt light over it is standard BA22d fitting and when someone nicks them they really go bang on 230 volt. So I never kept a stock in case fitted in 230v. Do I now need to stock up for future?

Sponsored Links
You can use a lead lag fluorescent fitting if you have a single phase supply, or if you are on three phase, have the fluorescents wired so that they are alternating across all the phases down the length of the factory (so every third fittting would be on L1)

Besides which, you will still be able to buy halogen lamps. It is only GLS lamps which are being phased out.

It is only GLS lamps which are being phased out.

Some halogen lamps are also being removed, the first ones to go are frosted halogen lamps (such as the G9 capsules).
Within a few years, conventional halogens will be gone, and the only ones left will be the higher efficiency xenon filled halogen lamps.

Lamps such as those used in downlighters will remain available - for now. Legislation regarding those hasn't been finalised yet.

Summary of what is being phased out:
http://europa.eu/rapid/pressRelease...&format=PDF&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

More documents:
http://ec.europa.eu/energy/efficiency/ecodesign/legislation_en.htm

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back