turf question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

having our garden paved and turfed, i came home from work on friday and noticed the landscape gardeners had started laying the new rurf. they have laid approx 75mm of top soil over the dirt left after removing the old turf, weeds etc, it appears to have been whacker plated down (whacker plate still in garden) and then turf laid directly onto whacked down top soil.
alarm bells were ringing. im no garden expert, but i thought after whacker plating the top soil they qould have had to atleast rake the top loose again prior to laying the turf? the wife also informs me that they didnt tap it down at all either. ive just been out to water it and it hasnt taken at all, although i wasnt expecting it to after just one day, but still, upon closer inspection they have definately not raked it.
am i being done over here? can someone tell me if i am right because if thats the case me and this gardener are going ro clash horns on monday.

Sponsored Links
Probably used the plate as a roller, if you drag your boot on the topsoil it will break away? Definitely with that technique, keep the turf wet. I'd say when they have the job completed, they will roll and water the turf in (they'll hardly use the plate :)).

But if you are not happy have a chat with them

Sponsored Links
It will probably be fine. Once i have screeded level i roll it again and then lay and roll lightly again after laying.

If they used a vibrating plate on it its probably formed a pretty hard crust which is not ideal.

In all honesty though as long as your happy with how level it is the turf will take fine.

The turf will take a few weeks before its at all 'connected' to the soil. Just keep watering, you can't over water turf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back