1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Turfing my lawn

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by Chrisgg90, 31 Mar 2020.

1. Chrisgg90

Chrisgg90

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi new to the forum and looking for some help. My lawn doesn’t drain at all and the current grass area is like a mud bog. My plan is to take all the grass off, dig it down by about 6 inches as well as putting a drainage channel with perforated pipe down the middle. Then putting a layer of 10 mm gravel on top, then a weed membrane before putting either sand or top soil on top of that before laying the new turf.

I’m just wondering if that’s the best way way to do it, or am I completely off base with it and if I am any tips would be most appreciated. Thanks

2. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A photo of existing setup may help, with the water on top if possible.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. StephenOak

StephenOak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It may be compacted. We have open soil and the lawn is at the top of a steep garden but in winter after heavy rain all the lawn was boggy apart from the RH strip (which is a bit lower) where there would be a thin layer of water.

I went over it with a hollow tine aerator, removing c. 40L of soil plugs, and it made a huge improvement. It has never been boggy since then.

I also scarify the lawn every year to remove dead material and, AFAIUI, that helps to keep the soil open and better draining.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Chrisgg90

Chrisgg90

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I did think it was maybe compacted and thought about hiring one of this machines to turn the soil over and then trampled it back down and re turf on top of that ?

6. Sponsored Links
  7. StephenOak

StephenOak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not sure what sort of machine you mean. I used a manual hollow tine aerator, which was really hard work. You can get mechanical versions.

As you say "turn the soil over" that sounds more like a rotavator. I have never used one but that is a very different sort of machine.

I have never done re-turfing, but I don't think that is how it is done.

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local