Turkey shortage averted....

Local Aldi has removed some of it's shelving, meaning increased floor space. Why would any supermarket do this unless there were problems filling shelves? Certain products are now hit and miss in there, whereas pre Brexit it was very rare for Aldi to run out of stock items. Things like lactose free milk have only just reappeared after being out of stock for months. Few months ago I wanted some cycling kit that was advertised in their mag. It never appeared in store and finally appeared weeks later than advertised on their website. Supermarkets are definitely struggling with supply and creating chaos in the chain, whatever the Brexit enthusiasts or right wing media claim.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Every year this happens. Better to buy frozen although this year we couldn't find a small one so bought fresh from lidl on 18th and stuck in freezer for 5 days before defrosting. We had rotten turkey from local butchers years ago so changed our buying habits.
Still think you can get unlucky but frozen is safe bet and we can't tell the difference.
I was in Lidls yesterday, they were selling their turkeys off for £2, i thought about buying one for my dog but it had to be cooked, so i never bothered, he had enough Turkey over Christmass.
On Christmas day, i had the dog out for a walk when i met a bloke carrying 2 Turkeys, he said to me a local charity was handing out free Turkeys,i said to him its a bit late now for Turkey and they won't keep until next year, but he didn't seem fussed.
So much for the Turkey shortage then.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think there was an excess of supply due to Covid. People unable to come together meaning less need for a big Turkey dinner. I heard the "Rotten" turkey issue was caused by deep pectoral myopathy, not a fresh/processing issue.

Round my way, most of the farms were selling turkey off cheap.

Back