Turn staircase 180 degrees - help!



Mornin' All,

I'm looking to reverse the staircase and run a corridor through the back bedroom into the bathroom in a terraced house.

My questions are -

1. Do I need planning permission or will it be covered under building regs?

2. Would the existing staircase be reusable or will it be likely to be trashed by removing it?

3. What else do I need to consider? I know that the bathroom doorway will need to be moved to the left and the boiler just inside the bathroom will need to be moved.

4. As the stairs will open into the back room downstairs will I need to put a door on the kitchen?

5. How much would the entire job be likely to cost?

Any help or ideas from anyone with experience of this would be gratefully received.

Thanks, DM.

Image shows current layout and that of a house in the same terrace that's had the stairs reversed.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately your proposal is a bit of a non-starter because the layout will not comply with building Regulations in particular Part B: Fire Escape in that your stair will no longer provide a protected means of escape. Any fire that occurs in the dining room will prevent escape from the upper storey. Building Control will not allow you to do anything that makes the means of escape worse. And failure to adhere to that ethos would also invalidate your insurance should the worst happen.
^ thanks Freddy, I appreciate your help.

I'd really like to be able to provide access to the bathroom without going through the back bedroom, is there another configuration that would enable me to do this and adhere to Building Regs? I appreciate that any change will reduce the size of the bedroom.

Random ideas -

1. Reverse the staircase and keep it entirely enclosed with doors either side at the bottom going into both reception rooms?

2. New staircase running at 90 degrees to existing to a landing by the bathroom door with a corridor running back to front bedroom?

Thanks again, DM.
Sponsored Links
In that case, it might be permissible, but you are making the fire-escape provision worse; have a chat with your local building inspector.
Thanks Tony, I've put a call in and am now waiting for a call from a building inspector and hope to hear tonight / tomorrow. I'll post back here when I've heard.
I guess that all you need to do to comply is put the wall back in between the dining room and the stairs so the GF layout is similar to now but with the stairs reversed.
Hi, did you ever get this work done - and could you give me an idea of cost? Am thinking of doing exactly this on what looks like a very similar property.
Hi, did you ever get this work done - and could you give me an idea of cost? Am thinking of doing exactly this on what looks like a very similar property.

Nah we didn't proceed with the house purchase as the vendor wouldn't play ball. Hope you've managed to get something sorted?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links