Turning a 3 way into a 2 way light circuit??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I turn a 3 way light circuit into a 2 way circuit by removing the intermediate swich and chocky blocking these wires together? The reason I ask is that I've just bought nice shiny chrome switches, but I can't get hold of a chrome intermediate switch.

Cheers
Rich

Sponsored Links
yes, at least electrically, depends if the mechanics are suitable.
You should of course make the joints in an appropriate way - and fit a blanking plate where the removed switch was.
If you really find you do need intermediate functionality, a normal switch, plus DPCO mains primary relay mounted in a DIN box in the loft or similar can be used too.

Cheers for the reply. Do I need a blanking plate or could I fit a piece of plasterboard over the hole, then plaster and paint it? Just wondering if there were any regs for having joined cables behind walls?

Rich

richgtfc said:
Cheers for the reply. Do I need a blanking plate or could I fit a piece of plasterboard over the hole, then plaster and paint it? Just wondering if there were any regs for having joined cables behind walls?

There are. (Reg 526-04-01) Joints need to be accessible, unless they are soldered, brazed, welded, crimped or compound-filled. If you really want to bury them forever the quickest solution is to use insulated crimps, applied with a proper ratchet crimping tool.

Sponsored Links
remember if you crimp them so they can be plastered over that the cable is likely to be in a route it shouldn't be. Best to keep a blanking plate there

mapj1 said:
If you really find you do need intermediate functionality, a normal switch, plus DPCO mains primary relay mounted in a DIN box in the loft or similar can be used too.

but to do that you would require a neutral for the relay.

why not leave the middle switch there just in case?

Cheers for the replies. I've decided to keep all 3 switches and try and find a brushed aluminium / chrome satin intermediate switch. Anybody know where I can get such a thing. Couldn't see one in B&Q or Homebase.

Cheers
Rich

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back