Intermediate switch on 2 way circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 2 way light with 2 x 2 way light switches (obviously) - I need to replace one of the switches but the only switch I have left that matches is an intermediate switch.

I have read you can use an intermediate switch as a 2 way switch (which seems logical) but I need to know if the lighting circuit needs to enter a 2 way switch first in order for it to work.

As it stands if I replace the switch the circuit would enter the intermediate switch first so I am not sure this would work.

I can swap which switch the circuit enters into first but I cant swap the switches round as they look different (ones black and one is chrome)

If some one knows the answer I would appreciate advice & details of how to wire this (for info I have new cable colours)

Thanks for any help you can provide

Sponsored Links
folder_wiki.gif
Wiki: Please see if the answer to your query is already covered by the Wiki

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:intermediate#using-2-way-and-3-way-switches-as-1-way-or-2-way

Works the same mate - just pretend one of the inputs isn't there :) - in other words, just use one of the inputs and the two outputs.....pretend this is your two way switch, so 'Input 1' would be your 'common', 'Input 2' would be ignored, 'output 1' would be 'L1' and 'Ouptut 2' would be 'L2'.

Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back