two way/intermediate lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The method i have been taught for 2 way/intermediate lighting is to have a switch line (twin and earth) and a length of three core connected to a 2 way switch, then a length of three core to an intermediate switch, and finally a length of three core to a second 2 way switch. Does it matter as to which of the three switches that the switch line is connected? Ie, can it be connected to the intermediate? Many diagrams show the switch line connected to the first 2 way switch.

Secondly, do 2 gang switches with separate 2 way and intermediate switch exist? :eek:

Sponsored Links
In a two way layout the switch line goes to one of the two way switches and the 3 core goes between the 2 two switches.
In a three way layout (or more) the switch line normally goes to one of the two way switches at either end of the layout and the intermediate switch fits between these two switches. Connecting the 3 core cable accordingly.
The 'red' going from 'com' to 'com' on the 2 two ways is not connected to the intermediate switch.
The intermediate switch has 4 terminals ie L1 (in)-------L1(out)
L2 (in)-------L2(out), these being for the 'yellow' and 'blue' wires.
The switch is more complex than a normal switch because it is capable of crossing the connections ie L1 (in) -------L2 (out). So it cannot be fitted at the start or end of the line of switches.
I have never come across an intermediate switch as one of a gang, probabley due to size and there is not that much demand for them
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't think I answered your question fully regarding the switch line and although it normally goes to one of the two way switches I can't see why it could not go to the intermediate switch. Connecting to L1 and L2 on a two way is the same as L1 and L2 on the intermediate.It's the same wire' it's just you are connecting at the other end
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've tried running though the circuitry for this set-up on paper, and it appears to work in theory - ie, switch line at the intermediate. I've just never seen it done this way in the work place :LOL: . I suppose the only way is to give it a go in practice. Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
I've tried running though the circuitry for this set-up on paper, and it appears to work in theory - ie, switch line at the intermediate. I've just never seen it done this way in the work place :LOL: . I suppose the only way is to give it a go in practice. Thanks for the advice.

whiz said:
Secondly, do 2 gang switches with separate 2 way and intermediate switch exist? :eek:

The MK grid system http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/PDF/range/Grid Plus.pdf has intermediate modules, so you can make up whatever mix of 1-way, 2-way and intermediate switches you want.

Also if you don't mind them being above each other, you can get 2-gang intermediate switches in an architrave format - I've got some (can't remember the make, I'm afraid) and if you look at how they switch you can see that you can use them as conventional 1-way or 2-way switches by connecting to the appropriate 2 or 3 out of the 4 terminals. And if you can get them in an architrave design, you must surely be able to get them in a conventional style.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back