Intermediate switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to wire up a 2G switchs (2 switches on the same face plate ie 2G switch) as follows:

Switch 1: this will control one light.

Switch 2: this will be the intermediate switch for a 3 way switching set up.

My question is do I buy a 2G intermediate switch and the wire one side up as the intermediate switch and then can I wire up the other side so it works like a normal 2G 2way switch, if so I would I do that? Or can I wire up one side of a 2G 2way switch so it works as an intermediate switch?

For my intermediate switch wire I have 2 three-core and earth (Brown, earth, black and grey cable) cables and for the other switch I have two-core and earth (brown, blue and earth) cable.

I hope this question makes sense.

Sponsored Links
You can use an intermediate switch as either a 2 way or a 1 way switch. You cannot use a 2way switch as an intermediate switch.

thanks for the help, could you help with the following aswell please:

If I use an intermediate switch as a 2 way switch I will have 2 L2 and 2 L1 connection points, which one do I wire the live and negative feeds to?

To be pedantic you don't connect negative (nor neutral) to a light switch, you only connect lives or switched lives (and of course earth if it is a metal switch!). To connect as a 2 way switch connect to either of the L1 terminals (don't loop both together though!) as common and use both the the L2 terminals as you would L1 and L2.
[code:1]
2way switch | intermediate switch
Com = L1
L1 = L2
L2 = the other L2
[/code:1]

Sponsored Links
If you buy Scolmore Click, you can get modular switches (not Grid-type but look just like ordinary switches) where you can buy a faceplate & fit a 2W & INT modules into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back