Mixed type switches - intermediate switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to find a double switch which has one switch wired as an intermediate switch and one as a 2 way switch - do these exist?

I am doing a house renovation and need the intermediate switch to support two way switching on a new landing, using an intermediate switch saves loads of rerouting of cables.

However, even if a switch like this does exist, I would want it to be in chrome to match the others and I'm sure there is not one available in the range I am using, so it there some way to create the circuit supported by an intermediate switch but actually use a 1 way or two way switch?

Cheers

Tom

Sponsored Links
trwb99 said:
Hi,

I'm trying to find a double switch which has one switch wired as an intermediate switch and one as a 2 way switch - do these exist?

I am doing a house renovation and need the intermediate switch to support two way switching on a new landing, using an intermediate switch saves loads of rerouting of cables.

However, even if a switch like this does exist, I would want it to be in chrome to match the others and I'm sure there is not one available in the range I am using, so it there some way to create the circuit supported by an intermediate switch but actually use a 1 way or two way switch?

Cheers

Tom

an intermediate switch can be used as a 2 way switch

Thanks guys,

So Andrew - do you think I should be able to buy a two gang intermediate switch and use one side as a two way switch?

But then again I am unlikely to get this in the chrome range I have chosen.

and the grid switched look a bit industrial for the style of house I am building.

looks like I might have to use two switches...

cheers

Tom

Sponsored Links
trwb99 said:
Thanks guys,

So Andrew - do you think I should be able to buy a two gang intermediate switch and use one side as a two way switch?

and the grid switched look a bit industrial for the style of house I am building.

cheers

Tom

nothin wrong with grid switches. they can look the same as a normal 2 gang switch

baldelectrician said:
Use MK as you can get about anything in grid

can't get sockets in grid plus ;)

you could get them in mk accent but that range no longer exists

the only current range i've found that does 13A sockets in a modular system is get rocca modular but that doesn't seem to be widely availible.(the fact that get have a name thats almost impossible to search the web for doesn't help).

trwb99 said:
Thanks guys,

cheers

Tom

Contactum do a 2 gang intermediate in moulded.
Whether they do the same in chrome etc I do not know

baldelectrician said:
If you use contactum you deserve all you get, pile of tat.

What makes you say that.

I used to work in a supplier who sold to both trade an public for many years.
Sold 10% MK and 90% contactum,
Guess which the majority of returns were, yes MK by a large degree.
At that time the MK "Logic" range switched sockets were only single pole switching whilst contactum were double pole for many years.
Long ago Contactum had a name similar to Volex but I think they changed.
In fact many contractors reffered to MK as "Expensive Carp" living off an name only.
Now the new MK logic I do not know so I can`t give a fair opinion.
The Contactum switched fused connection unit changed the cord grip to a stupid one a few years ago I agree but otherwise most stuff seeems OK.

Only expressing my opinion

For grid you can't beat MK

I use GET white moulded accessories as I find them good reliable and sturdy- in my increasing years I have became prone to dropping the odd socket or 2

baldelectrician said:
Only expressing my opinion

For grid you can't beat MK

I use GET white moulded accessories as I find them good reliable and sturdy- in my increasing years I have became prone to dropping the odd socket or 2

How the heck can you in all fairness lambast Contactum when you admit to using GET. Words fail me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back