Intermediate Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to use a 2 gang,2 way as an 2 switch intermediate ? I am looking to change all the switches in the house and I can't find a 2 switch intermediate in the range I am looking at. And I notice that 2 switch intermediates seems to be very rare. Assume there is a different approach to wiring. Any help gratefully received

Iain

Sponsored Links
So I have to use specific Intermediate switched, yes?? I am still confused that there are not many available. Plenty of single switch, but very few 2 switch. Any reason for this?

Not really a reason. There are some.

Do you actually need two intermediate switches on the one face plate?

Sponsored Links
What kind of switches are you buying?

Are the actual switch units detachable from the faceplates?

Is it possible to use a 2 gang,2 way as an 2 switch intermediate ?
Asking that question betokens an inadequate understanding of how switches work, how they are used, how lighting circuits are wired, etc.

Thanks for all the feedback.
1. Yep married and yes a request from her ladyship :D. But to be fair, the existing ones are cracked, yellow and pretty crappy.
2. Yes need 2 switches on same faceplate
3. I have bought LAP Brushed Steel (Flat screwed types) from Screwfix, on the basis that they had decent reviews, look pretty good and are significantly cheaper than the Varilight option.
4. However, I have just found that Varilight do something similar and as the switches are a fair way apart I'll get one and see if its a decent match

Next time I have a multi-switched light I'll do my homework first. Thanks all

It is in essence an reversing switch, non domestic would have 6 terminals and one has to cross wire the outer terminals, with the domestic intermediate switch this is done for you. I also had problems finding three gang intermediate but could find 2 gang, so I arranged to wiring to suit.

Today we have wireless switches and also the dimmer switches now come as master and slave, so you can fit as many dimmers as you want to the same circuit. See this example there are others which do similar things.

As EFL Impedance hinted above, sometimes you can remove the switches from the back of a 2 gang and fit 2 intermediates as you need, by buying two 1 gang intermediates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back