New Circuit Off an Intermediate Switch Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I’m looking to add a new circuit for a new landing light. I’ve ran a cable from the ceiling position of the light to an intermediate switch for an existing three way switch circuit. If I buy a 2 gang intermediate switch, can I run my new circuit from here? Hoping I can. Schoolboy error, didn’t pickup on the intermediate switch piece before running the cable. Thanks in advance, Chris.

Sponsored Links
intermediate switches can also be used as one-way or two-way switches.

Not quite sure what you intend to do, but you will not be able to power the new light using what is available on the existing switch.
There will (Edit - very likely) be no neutral.

Last edited:
Thanks. I thought there were two neutrals terminating at this switch in a block? Grr. Do I need to route the cable to another of the three switches? I have the third switch on the same floor.

Thanks. I thought there were two neutrals terminating at this switch in a block?
Only if there are two blocks with two wires in each.

Grr. Do I need to route the cable to another of the three switches? I have the third switch on the same floor.
Probably not.
If there is a loft above it would probably be easier to run another cable from new light to an existing light.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I thought there were two neutrals terminating at this switch in a block?
... well, to some extent, you need to tell us - are there two conductors terminating in a block (but not connected to the switch) at the location of this switch and, if so, what colour are they?

A photo might help.

Mind you, even if there are neutrals at the switch location, I don't think you would be able to wire a new light from there such that it could be controlled independently of the existing lights.

Kind Regards, John

Great, thanks. Can do this as the current circuit is now spot lights down the landing.

... well, to some extent, you need to tell us - are there two conductors terminating in a block (but not connected to the switch) at the location of this switch and, if so, what colour are they?

A photo might help.
The colour might not be definitive.

A lot of intermediate switches will have two wires not connected to the switch.
There is a chance they might be neutrals but not possible to be sure without testing or pictures of all the switches.

The colour might not be definitive. ... A lot of intermediate switches will have two wires not connected to the switch. ... There is a chance they might be neutrals but not possible to be sure without testing or pictures of all the switches.
Of course, that's all true,

However, if there were no conductors terminated in a block at the location of the switch, then that would be clear enough, and if there were such conductors in a block, all of which were red or brown (or a mixture thereof) that would reduce the likelihood that they were neutrals ... hence my questions.

Kind Regards, John

If there are NO wires in a connector block (or similar) there won't be a permanent Line(live) either.
Quite - and, as far as I can see, it would be incredibly unlikely that both a neutral and a permanent L would be available at any intermediate switch - which is why I said that I doubted that what the OP wanted, per se, would be achievable.

Kind Regards, John

Guys, here are the two switches on my landing. Third switch is downstairs. Looks like I have fed my new cable to the third (top) switch in the diagram and not the intermediate. Difference with my switch to the diagram is I have two neutral coloured cables terminating together too...

Attachments

• C56AF14D-1E1F-4456-954E-0BE257C2778B.jpeg
    C56AF14D-1E1F-4456-954E-0BE257C2778B.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 236
  • 2B169B5E-A9F3-471C-BFC1-63164EA7D31B.jpeg
    2B169B5E-A9F3-471C-BFC1-63164EA7D31B.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 252
  • F7CE234A-85E1-4D2E-89AB-3D3EAE38048E.jpg
    F7CE234A-85E1-4D2E-89AB-3D3EAE38048E.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 245

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back