Turning a garage into a gym (hopefully!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large garage - 16ft x 30ft single block built walls with a flat roof, concrete floor. I am looking at converting it to a gym but I am unsure whether to insulate it by the "traditional" method i.e. build a framework inside the garage and put fibreglass insulation inside the frame and cover it with plasterboard and then skim and paint OR to look at the "newer"option of putting up battens on the wall and attaching somthing like Kingspan with a plasterboard facing - the walls and roof will need doing as well as putting in a "wooden" floor - Can anybody recommend the best way of doing it and in what order - -i.e walls fisrt then ceiling then floor or what - all ideas, advice recieved with thanks

Sponsored Links
This is personal and sensible choice philcal,
You can as you say batten out fill with insulation, vapour check and board then skim.
You could batten out, use thermaline or K18 etc... then board and skim (no need to vapour check this as insulation backing of the board already has this property.
You could also consider dot'n'dabbing the thermaline type of boards to the wall, then using a second mechanical fixing nailable plugs to secure.

If I was intending to fit a gym in the garage, I would take in to consideration wall mount racks and equipment. This as you will know, wants to be fixed very securely to the walls, so I would make provisions for that.
So maybe the best option on at least the walls where equipment could/would be mounted, is to fix very secure studs that are well bolted back in to the wall. Plan this as fixing points for equipment.
As plasterboard will not on it's own offer a good secure fix for very heavy duty equipment such as you would find in a gym.
Hope this helps.
Also electric cable sizes has to be calculated when routed through thermal insulated walls, so if you intend to have electric cables within the walls they need to be rated and fused correctly.
For example 2.5mm twin and earth cable routed through insulated walls can be effected by the insulation at a rate of 50%, thus losing 50% of it's safe current carrying capacity.
If you have any further question regarding this, please do so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back