Turning flats into house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I have been a reader of this forum foe a while, but never had to post much. However, this is something that you don't see much at the mo.....

I have a pair of end of terace 2 bed flats in a victorian property. I would like to turn them into a 4 bed house for me & my wife.

Does it matter if I keep all the services seperate for the time being? I'll be talking to the suppliers in good time, but has anyone done this before??
Any pointers w.r.t. planning & building regs would be excellent.

Thanks
Huw

Sponsored Links
You need planning permission to turn a house into flats so I assume you will need planning permission to turn flats into a house!

Building regs depends on any structural work being carried out as well as drainage changes if any.

If you keep the services separate you may find yourself paying two sets of standing charges and also council tax which may require the new house to be re-valued.

Also 2 TV licences.... :LOL:

I am sure there are other costs as well.

Not so sure about the planning issue Tipper. You need permission to turn a house into flats because you are creating additional dwelling units. Turning two 'dwelling units' into a single one wont create the same issues (giving privacy to each unit, seperate amenity space for each unit etc..) . My gut instinct is that you would not need permission, but its worth a phonecall to your local planning authority? If you're reverting back to the original I wouldn't have thought they'd have an issue with it if you do need permission.

Sponsored Links
I would think you will need to submit a building warrant application because one of the kitchens will need to be removed and the room used for another purpose. A change of use of a room requires a building warrant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back