Turning on extractor fan also turns on a light!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Ive got a weird electrical issue. The grill works about 30% of the time (sometimes it heats, most of the time it doesnt). An engineer fitted a new element and thats made no difference.

After a bit of fiddling, it seems that when I turn the extractor fan on, one of the under cabinet lights turns on also! Then I turn off the grill and the light went off. I turn the grill back on and the light momentarily came on again.

So its all a bit odd!

Turning on extractor fan also turns light on:

IMG_0094.jpg

Theres a cable from the light which goes above the cabinets and a junction box(?)

IMG_0092.jpg

where it then goes into a cabinet:

IMG_0091.jpg

What could be causing this? I think it may explain why the grill work occasionally.

Ive tried various combinations of turning things on/off to see if theres any rhyme/reason to it. The only thing that happens consistently is turning the extractor fan on also turns the light on.

What could it be? How can I diagnose?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
Does seem like dodgy wiring, but you probably need a good electrician to resolve this one. Could be being triggered by a switch live?

Hard to comment as I can’t see the wiring, when was the last time you had an installation condition report or periodic inspection?

Sponsored Links
I had an ECR 2 or 3 years ago. Ill need to check my paperwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back