Stupid electician? Sky light and extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The new shower room, toilet and basin in my newly build extension has a switch which controls both the extractor fan and the light bulb.

Before I even knew he had done this he was outta the house in a flash.

Basically ive got a skylight in the bathroom, so obviuosly if I were to have a shower at 3pm I wouldnt need to turn the light on. But i would need to turn the extractor fan on so the steam can be dealt with.

However the silly t*ssp*t that has done the wiring has made it so that when I turn the extractor fan on the light will come on and when I turn the light on the extractor fan will come on!

Very silly isnt it. Well just wanted to know if theres anyway this can be sorted out, or is it a lost cause as all the tiling and plastering has already been done.

Sponsored Links
thats the normal way to do it, you should have specified.
no ones a mind reader.

I had similar problems to resolve in my daughters flat. I managed to sorted for her, I would imagine one of the experts on here will tell you how. They like to ask for pictures (think its a delaying act (joking)), but they will give you advice, (usually within the sarcasm). Good luck

Why don't you just get the guy to come back? And then brief him properly so he knows what your requirements are.

Sponsored Links
SS beat me by 1 minute..But you see what I mean..hang on they will sort you :rolleyes:

as has been mentioned, no one is a mind reader, it is your fault for not specifying what you want.

But do look on the bright side, you said shower at 3pm, in winter it will be getting dark, you will be gratefull for the light, also the light being on reminds you the fan is on.

that is exactly how 99% of people do have it, don't believ me read the first line here

Wow, sorry didnt know this was the standard way it was done. But surely it makes sense not to have it that way especially if theres a great big blooming sky light on the ceiling?! :rolleyes:

Had loads of moans from blokes :LOL: :LOL:

We now install a 2 gang switch outside the door most of the time.

Is yours a wall switch or a pull switch?? Do you have a fan isolator switch outside the bathroom anywhere?? (dont matter too much if you dont)

We can help you, just need these details first.

benjiman said:
However the silly t*ssp*t that has done the wiring has made it so that when I turn the extractor fan on the light will come on and when I turn the light on the extractor fan will come on!...Very silly isnt it.
benjiman said:
Before I even knew he had done this he was outta the house in a flash.

Cause and effect, possibly? I know that in my case being called a t*ssp*t always makes me want to sit down and calmly discuss the details!! ;)

Lectrician said:
Had loads of moans from blokes :LOL: :LOL:

We now install a 2 gang switch outside the door most of the time.

Is yours a wall switch or a pull switch?? Do you have a fan isolator switch outside the bathroom anywhere?? (dont matter too much if you dont)

We can help you, just need these details first.

Its a single wall switch outside the shower room. There is no fan isolator switch at all. It wasnt fitted. Hope you can help :D

Does the fan stop when the light is turned off?

Or does it carry on before switching off?

securespark said:
Does the fan stop when the light is turned off?

Or does it carry on before switching off?

Fan stays on for a few minutes after the light is turned off. Theres an adjustable timer inside the fan which can be changed.

Then your fan has both a permanent and switched live supply, and it was very wrong of your electrician not to wire it through a 3-pole isolation switch as now you have no way to isolate the supply to it should you need to except by turning off the lighting circuit.

Was he a real electrician? Did he have a van, or a big white horse?

The electical work was contracted out to some other guy as part of the extension. He looked a real enough electrician, had a white van etc...

So theres no way at all to sort this out now?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back