Turning water off query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am replacing our bathroom suite tomorrow, can do plimbing work and know how to install it all properley, just one question though please.... has been bugging me and is making me feel really dumb!!

When I turn the hot and cold water off before removing appliances, and draining the water through the bath basin and wc - if i then need to cut the pipes a little to re-pipe to the new tap connectors at the new basin wc and bath, will water from the pipe flood out, or will i have stopped it completely by turning the gate valves off??

Any help to put my mind to rest I would be so thankful for, as I for some reason have gone blank!!!... :oops:

Sponsored Links
If you have isolated the hot and cold water supplies to the bathroom, then the only water that may come out is that within the pipes you intend to cut which hasn't had the opportunity to empty due to the height of the taps, which isn't normally a great deal, but have a couple of old towels to soak it up. If possible, empty the pipes further by opening the taps lower down in the building while leaving the upstairs taps open - this should remove most of the water still in the upstairs pipework.

harrygreen";p="1232841 said:
Hi

I am replacing our bathroom suite tomorrow {/quote]

god help us.

can do plimbing work and know how to install it all properley
but can't spell it.
just one question though please.... has been bugging me and is making me feel really dumb!!

When I turn the hot and cold water off before removing appliances, and draining the water through the bath basin and wc - if i then need to cut the pipes a little to re-pipe to the new tap connectors at the new basin wc and bath, will water from the pipe flood out, or will i have stopped it completely by turning the gate valves off??

if you have any hot/cold taps lower than your bathroom open them that will drain the pipework above.

if you cold in the bathroom is tank fed don't open the kitchen cold as that will be mains fed.

if you do cut any pipes after draining just place a towel under them
their may be abit in the pipework but not under any pressure.
just stops it going to the plasterboard ceiling below.

Hi

Thanks for helping me

Sorry for bad spelling before (had a few drinks tonight)!!

I feel so stupid for asking such an obvious question now!!

The system is combi fed - so both hot and cold mains pressure and combi in bathroom airing cupboard. Draining both kitchen sinks should do the trick I believe?

I am also thinking of using an anti-vac trap (bottle type) on the basin as the house uses the primary vent stack and I think the runs are pretty long ... I am thinking of using the old waste pipes which are near the wall and replacing the part from the trap and using straight connectors to join the old to new. The original waste pipe is PVC (that or ABS) as has solvent welded fittings - so will use solvent weld again (the push fit waste fittings look so much more chunky and horrible!!!

Sponsored Links
As it's a combi, turn it off, turn off the mains stopcock and drain the kitchen taps as previosuly suggested. Waste pipes will be fine as you suggest.

Thanks for helping all - it'sa my new house am just moving in!! also the washing machine has no hot connection (and my machine does) so am going to add a wash machine valve and tee it off the hot supply to the kitchen sink - but by adding this, again i will obviously need to turn the hot water off - but as i am cutting down at the lowest level (kitchen sink) should i expect a huge spillage) :(

As it's a combi, turn it off,

do you meanc lose off the is valve to the supply to it (that provides the hot water)?

turn off the mains stopcock and drain the kitchen taps as previosuly suggested. Waste pipes will be fine as you suggest.

Hi

Sorry for bad spelling before (had a few drinks tonight)!!

sounds like an ideal time to make a start then any slight leak won't matter.
drunk-irish-048.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back