Turning Water Supply Off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

This is a silly question but please bare with.

In my new house, I have a combi boiler which I've never had before...

In one of the bathrooms we have a basin with two old taps which I'm going to replace, but unfortunately and typically these two don't have isolation valves, so I need to turn the mains stopcock off under the sink.

Do I need to turn the combi boiler off too? When I turn the mains off, I need to open the taps to drain off any remaining water but I don't want the boiler to fire up if there's no water going to it.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Boiler really should not fire up if no water flowing but if you want to be doubly safe switch off the power supply to the boiler then switch back on after you have run water through the taps, don't forget to reset your timer if it is off for a while or your heating will come on late!
Manual timers stop many new digital ones will keep time for quite a while if the supply is interrupted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back