Turps stain/patch on velvet style wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have cleaned a little gloss from wallpaper it has now soaked into it a little leaving a patch, happened yesterday but the patch is still there, any advice how to clean it out?

or should I attempt to remove the strip of wallpaper and place a fresh piece in it`s place?

would prefer to try to rescue the current strip though as I lined underneath and I`m suspecting it may tear off now causing more of a nightmare.

hope somebody can offer me advice please.

thanks.

2cy1r28.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not much advice that I can offer you here really, if you were to attempt to remove the existing drop you may only worsen the problem.

If this ever happens again place an absorbent kitchen towel over the area and gently useing a dryer try to draw the stain out, you can if you wish try this now yet I have my doubts regarding the outcome.

Sorry I was'nt much help

Good luck

Dec

Hi Dec,

thanks for the reply, I have decided to strip it off, actually is not too bad, lucky i used 1400 grade lining paper for the bottom half here, it was pretty tough underneath so came off not too bad.

I am just about to fit a new piece in now :)

This is the second time I have ever wallpapered in my LIFE!!
so could be worse!

I have just tiny seams some areas you can see just a little bit, I did try to get them closed up as much as possible, any tips for that? only thing I could had done maybe is paint the wall purple before i done the wallpapering lol

10qyqg0.jpg

Not really, if they were in anyway overlapping you could cut out the offending section with a sharp blade, open seams are a nightmare on finish paper, yet for only your second attempt I dont think you've done to bad.

A tip for the future though, when hanging any form of finish wallcovering always apply your paint including your gloss coat first.

Let me know how you get on with that one drop

Good luck

Dec

Sponsored Links
okay put another strip on, the lining paper underneath seems to have wrinkled now so when ive put it on its got wrinkles, I wonder if these wrinkles will shrink out once it dries?

one problem to another!! :(

the couch goes in front of this part I`m hoping it will hide it maybe, not sure though :/

v5cu40.jpg

Well those do appear to be rather large bubbles, but providing you have allowed the paper to become supple before hanging they should dry out ok.

Dec

its the actual lining paper underneath which became dry i think coming off of the wall slightly, i soaked it up as much as i could pasting directly onto the lining paper

You could very well be right there, my advice would be to leave it at least 24 hours, at this time of year it should be enough time for both papers to retract and fully dry. Let me know how you get on.

Dec

I think I`ll leave over night, see how it goes, if bubbles are still there I may take it off again, but then make incisions with a sharp blade and peel back the dry areas in the lining paper, stick back on with some paste, then put a new strip up of paper (again)

A tip for the future though, when hanging any form of finish wallcovering always apply your paint including your gloss coat first.

the gloss was dry on the wall I was working on, it was the other side of the room which was not dry - I had touched up some parts, but when I layed down the paper next to it (by accident) some gloss got onto the paper (oops)

I`m a dummy for getting it onto the nice new paper :p

Bet you wont do it again though.

Enjoy the bank holiday weekend

Take care

Dec

Finished result

one thing which i guess I will have to live with are the very small gaps between the paper, they are probably just under 1mm but I can`t think of any way to make these less noticeable.

8x0m12.jpg

This is something of which I would normaly not suggest, yet it may be of benefit to you, and you will need a steady hand.

You could with a fine tipped felt pen of roughly the same shade, colour in the areas between the open seams. This is of course in no way a solution to your problem yet it can disguise the situation.

Dec

yea just been through the missus makeup to see if there was a purple eye liner! no luck lol I`ll see what i can think of.
I think I may be good with a sharp purple pencil what do you think?

I think with a sharp purple pencil and a steady hand you'll do just fine.

Good luck to you

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back