priming over glossy patches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

i'm hoping for some help covering up (what looks like) extremely messy glossing in my hallway.

when i moved in there was wallpaper all over (which i rapidly steamed off) whats left underneath is mostly plaster but around the door frames (and a few other little patches) there is sloppings of gloss, it looks as though they used the wall to wipe the excess gloss of their brush, and i'd like to paint the walls (standard dulux coloured emulsion)

so far i've tried steaming, sanding, scraping, heat gunning, and chemicaly stripping the gloss off but to no avail. i tried painting a few layers of white emulsion over it (to cover it over) but the shiny gloss always shows through.

I've been reading online that the best option is to sand it rough and use some primer, can someone help me find the right kind of primer for this? (ive found acrylic primer undercoat but don't really know if it's the right thing for the job)

Sponsored Links
Zinsser make some of the best primers as far as I know, so I would suggest something like 123 plus or if you can stand the smell, coverstain.
Both are excellent products, 123 plus is water based so smells less and some say it isn't as good as Coverstain - I think I agree, but for your job 123 sounds plenty good enough !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back