Tv aerial in a flat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,thank you all for the previois forum help.
Our son has purchased a flat,has 3 tv aerial wsll sockets and only 1 works being the main tv,sat,dvb,telephone plug.
The main socket works and after chatting with neighbours,it seems the 2 not working sockets are radio or something else.these are a different coaxial cable.
Neighbours tv off the main combined socket works well.
The block managment company have been informed but dont expect much.
We want to rerun coaxial cable to the 2 defective sockets in trunking,can this be done ? If so which coax cable,booster,splitter etc is recommended.

Thank you for your time.
Dd

Sponsored Links
What cable:

Recommended choices are Webro WF100 / Triax TX100 / Labgear PF100. These are all good quality well-shielded coax cables made from copper rather than inferior steel/aluminium combinations. Expect to pay around 50p per metre, so hardly breaking the bank. Webro WF100 is also available in white if it helps with blending in to room aesthetics.

All the above have a physical diameter of around 6.5 to 6.7mm.

Webro also makes a thinner version in a twin (shotgun) configuration made popular by Sky satellite installations. This is WF65. Each leg of the twin has a diameter of 4.6mm. The twin cable can be split in to two individual conductors.

Yes, you'll end up with a spare length of the stuff. No, unless you can find a retailer willing to split before you buy then there's no way around this. Even if you do find someone, the cost of the labour will probably be more than you would save in material costs. Coax isn't expensive. It's cheaper to get the right stuff from the word go rather than buy rubbish, then waste ages trying to fix the problems it causes, only to realise you then have to buy the good stuff anyway and re-do the job.

WF65 is also available in white.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Webro makes each of the above in two versions. The one to go for is the all copper version. That means that the shielding is a copper foil tape + copper braid sheath. The one to avoid is the Aluminium/PTFE tape + aluminium braid. I mention this because if you're buying from Ebay there are lots of sellers who conveniently 'forget' to mention which version they're selling, so you think you're buying the good copper stuff but get supplied the inferior aluminium grade.

Stuff to avoid:

TV Cable extension kits. Invariably they're crap. The cable might be thin but it's also the worst quality. You're just inviting problems with signal loss and interference. It just ain't worth it. Run away. Run away.

Anything sold as RG6 or Low Loss or Sky/Virgin/Freeview HD/4K where the cable has aluminium (silver-looking) shielding. The vast majority is a cheap grade 6.5mm coax using a copper coated steel (CCS) core conductor and aluminium braid/plastic/PTFE tape combo shielding. Cheap aerial jobs are done with it because (a) it's marginally cheaper and (b) it'll fail outdoors far quicker than all copper coax so there a chance of some repeat buisiness for the installer. It's bad bad stuff. Avoid.

Can you do it?

From a technical point of view, yes. It's not difficult for the average semi-competent DIYer. The chances are that the signal will already be pretty stong in a block of flats as there'll be a professionally installed aerial distribution system to ensure a decent signal level to each flat. For that reason you won't need a powered booster unless you buy the cheap TV extension kit or crappy RG6 I've just told you to avoid in the paragraphs above.

By spending pennies more to get decent cable quality you won't need to spend £15-£20 on an amplified splitter. See how that works?: Spend enough here, and save big there. That's a good thing.

What you'll need is a passive splitter. SEE LINK. This will give you two identical signals without reducing the quality (Q) of the signal. There'll be enough strength (S) to cope with splitting.

You'll notice that the splitter has sockets for the screw-on type connectors you might have seen on satellite gear. This is pretty common now. All you need is some of the F-plugs (satellite connectors) instead of using TV coax plugs. F-connectors are easier to fit correctly and give a more secure connection. If you buy WF100/TX100/PF100 cable, then get RG6-sized F connectors. If it's WF65, then get WF65-sized connectors. The screw-threaded sockets on the splitter are a standard size regardless of the plug size, so any plug size will fit. The two different sizes of plug are for the different diameters of cable.

Can you do it from a tenancy point of view? Only your landlord can answer that question. Some tenancy agreements don't even allow Blu-tack or drawing pins to be used on the walls. Where the flat is purchased rather than rented then this shouldn't be an issue.

As far as the act of splitting goes, you're doing nothing different than would be the case looping the aerial signal through a Freeview recorder and on to the TV. It shouldn't affect other tenants.

We need a picture of the main socket block. Is there a socket on it labelled return or even unlabled? If so this could be the feed to the non working sockets. It is normally used to send a sky signal from a sky box to the other sockets. To use it without a sky box connect a splitter to the working socket and feed one splitter output to the return socket and the other to the local TV.
Note splitters need to be connected correctly. The "tail" needs to be connected to the working feed. The other two connections are the outputs.

Although today with large TV screens using coax between set top boxes and second TV is not very good, years ago it was the standard method. Our very old sky box has one coax in and two out, one to local TV and one to remote TV, plus a two SCART plugs one to VCR and one to TV. with small 14" TV's it worked well. In those days no HDMI cables.

I know when I lived in a flat and wanted star TV the installer seemed to simply swap the standard push in TV socket to a screw type. I would guess the plate had filters, but never looked, clearly 25th floor of 32 floors could not have own aerial or dish, what ever was on the roof fed all 240 flats in that block. I wanted an aerial for my radio and had to stick some 300 ohm ribbon feeder cut to slim Jim on window, it did work. But only local in Hong Kong no international link.

Same with TV there may be an option for set top aerials or internet TV. But as I found out in a flat it is rather limited what you can do.

Sponsored Links
Lucid,thank you.

Done as per your instructions and excellent signal strength on all tv's.

Lucid,thank you.

Done as per your instructions and excellent signal strength on all tv's.

Glad you're sorted and it worked well.

Do me a small favour, log in and go to the post where I gave you the advice. Hover your mouse over where it says Multi-quote Quote. You'll see the word 'Thanks' displayed in semi-transparency. Click on it.

Writing thanks in a post is nice, but using the Thanks button is far more useful. It marks good info for those who might be searching for a solution to problems of a similar nature in the future :)

Happy viewing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back