TV Bracket on repaired wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a TV bracket which I am hanging in the lounge, on an external wall, to support a 50" TV. It is a plastered wall, which I believe it is in to breeze block.

The bracket is supported on 10mm hole, wall plugs, screws.

The bracket has been hung on the wall, but it is about 5mm too low - this means the TV is too low for the SONOS playbar to go underneath ... disaster!

My question is can I fill the holes, and then re drill 5mm higher? If so, what should I use to fill the hole and will it be strong enough to provide support to the TV bracket ... i.e. as strong as the breeze block.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Check the bars on the back of the mount they are normally adjustable? Alternatively there may be more than 1 place to put the fixers in the frame or tv bolts

e.g.
products_35395_mm02-44f_3.jpg

Hi,

It's not adjustable unfortunately as it's already at the extremities in the bars.

Thanks,

You could fill the holes with a two part epoxy resin, but I'd still look to put the new holes in new mount holes if thats possible. The other option is to drill more holes in the metal plate and re-use the 10mm mounts

Sponsored Links
As it's only 5mm the answer is simple. Make an adapter bracket from 3mm steel plate that has holes to match the existing holes in the wall. Above those holes and slightly offset (right or left) drill two more holes. Feed two bolts into those holes and weld the heads or secure with nuts. Then place the normal wall bracket over them and secure with lockwashers and nuts.

I could make such a bracket in my shed in under 5 minutes but, if you can't, any decent engineering shop will make it for you.

(Actually, it's slightly more complex than I described because you'll have to allow for the depth of the bolt heads by using spacer washers on the existing wall bolts or by bending the adapter bracket.)

I think trying to fill a hole and re-drill an overlapping one is going to end badly. The problem is that whatever you fill it with is likely to be stronger or weaker than the existing block. If it's weaker then your drill bit will want to wander back to the old hole. If it's stronger then your drill bit will likely want to wander away.

Hi,
It's not adjustable unfortunately as it's already at the extremities in the bars.
Can you not adjust it in some other direction?

A picture of the bracket or a link to it's installation manual would be helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back