TV: Edge Lit vs Full LED Array

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I hoped someone might be able to offer some advice: I'm looking at 2 Sony tvs, XH8505 series which is edge lit display, and XH9505 series, which seems very similar in most respects, except it has Full Array LED and costs about £150 more. I realise that the one has leds only at the edge of the screen whilst the other has them across the entire screen, but, does this make a great difference to the picture? For the long term which be be a better bet...? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
The 9505 is definitely worth the extra, IMO.

There's a bit more to it than just the backlight. One major difference is the panel. The 9505 has a proper 10bit panel. The 8505 has an 8bit panel and then uses dithering to try to replicate the extra colours that the 9505 can reproduce naturally. The extra colours from Wide Colour Gamut formats such as Dolby Vision will look better on the 9505.

The two other main differences are more of a benefit for gamers but have some application for video too. The better panel in the 9505 supports HFR which stands for High Frame Rate, and it also has VRR support too.

The other differences are in the motion processing. It's more sophisticated in the higher model. All in all then the extra £150 covers quite a bit more than just the backlighting, but coming back to that, yes Full Array Local Dimming (FALD) does make a very noticeable difference.

There are plenty of demo clips on Youtube showing what's going on, but bear in mind that when you're watching a video recording that's then been through YT's compression methods and that's then displayed on your laptop or mobile device which may not equal the dynamic range and colour of the original displays anyway... well, the result is akin to someone trying to describe the flavour to you of something you've never tasted before. You're a long way away from the direct experience.

Local Dimming: FALD vs Edge LED Dimming, demo 1 - YouTube

Local Dimming: FALD vs Edge LED Dimming, demo 3 - YouTube

When I watch these two clips, particularly the one with the horse, I can still pick out the extra detail in the shading. That's because FALD set has a much bigger dynamic range because the backlighting tracks the object more precisely. There's far less light pollution on screen.

Thanks Lucid for your detailed reply. Agreed the clips are interesting, I can see some difference there.

Looks like the 9505 then, unless there's anything else recommended around the same price range?

Sponsored Links
About 18 months ago I bought a telly for the living room. I wasn't looking to spend a lot as it's just for day-to-day viewing mostly, but I knew that I wanted Dolby Vision and a decent brand so I plumped for the Panasonic GX800. The model had just launched and the retail price at the time was £800. It's missing the 10bit 100Hz native panel and it isn't a FALD set. If I was buying today then the only choice for me besides an OLED is the 9505.

As far as I'm concerned the 9505 is a no-brainer. There isn't anything worth buying at a lower price. The 9505 is the first point where you get 100Hz and a 10bit panel and FALD. If you're solely a TV and movies person, and the room doesn't get a lot of sunlight, then the OLED make a lot of sense. Panasonic and Philips now both have 55" OLEDs at under a grand to compete with the LG B6. Although all OLEDs use LG panels, both brands have a reputation for better motion processing than LG, and so there's potentially better performance from the LG rivals.

OLED does absolute black because it's the pixels that glow. This means each pixel is its own light source rather than a smudge of backlighting. OLED doesn't get as bright as LED LCD, but with the panel being pure black against the white of anything it shows then the contrast is massive compared to LED. This shows through in all the colours; they're richer, more saturated. Just gorgeous images.

For someone with a brighter room, and who is interested in gaming as much as TV, then at under a grand the choice is the 9505 any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Even if you can afford to spend more on an LED TV, apart from size there's not really that much more in features than the 9505 already has. I'd have one in the lounge in a heart beat. If it had been available at today's price when I was buying 18 months ago, then that's what I'd be watching right now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back