TV mounting advice/help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In the process of purchasing a LG 55CX OLED and looking to mount this on a cantilever mount. I've been recommended Sanus mounts, but none of their mounts seem to say they’re suitable for mounting on a brick wall

The chimney is unused (and the alcoves either side are too small for the 55") so we were thinking this makes the most sense. There is plaster over the fireplace (a thin skim of Gypsum over the original lime - but no laths). The Chimney opening is supported by an iron bar and a course of soldier bricks, but is only one brick thick (just over 110mm thick).

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to safely mount a TV onto this kind of wall without me pulling my chimney breast down? Has anyone done this before?

Should I anchor to the brick? If so what is the best option? Should I avoid a cantilever mount (I’ve heard these can put more stress on the wall)

I was also thinking of drilling a 32mm hole with a core drill to run the cables through to the inside of the chimney and out the side to the alcove. Has anyone done anything similar this?

Also attached an image from the LG AR app to show rough placement thoughts-in terms of height it’s just slightly above eye line so shouldn’t be too bad on the neck!

Thanks!

M4z2kAB.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's only 19kg, which isn't light but not too heavy.
Have you bought it? Have you checked tha apps on it as standard?

All tv mounts are suitable for mounting on a brick wall. Though watching tv above head height is detrimental to your posture.

All tv mounts are suitable for mounting on a brick wall. Though watching tv above head height is detrimental to your posture.
Agree...Why do people do it..???
I watch TV whilst laying on the settee so I hang the TV vertically...Mmmmm LOL

Sponsored Links
The centre of the TV will only be just over 61 inches from the floor when mounted in the position we're looking at, which I think is fine... and we don't really have too many other options for a screen this size!

I'm more concerned about whether the single brick thickness will take the weight and if drilling a 50mm hole through the face and side of the chimney breast will cause structural issues

have a look at one for all brackets as well, the quality is very good, and i had a LG OLED B7 hanging off it at full extension for just over a year.

i also didn't have any issues with posture etc and it was actually very comfortable viewing.

i used this in my previous house:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/899...y8Wy6S3LZHh4ZzmA1FEaAtU1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

i would also recommend using these to hang the TV on the with, DO NOT use an SDS drill to drill the holes, that will be to powerful and cause you issues, start the hole off using a small drill bit and work your way up in stages, i advise using Bosch multi-construction drill bits.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-...DgTa5qPY3cRaTIDxbk0aAt9LEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

have a look at one for all brackets as well, the quality is very good, and i had a LG OLED B7 hanging off it at full extension for just over a year.

i also didn't have any issues with posture etc and it was actually very comfortable viewing.

i used this in my previous house:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8995021?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=30f62ea9-9626-4cac-97c8-9ff3921f8558&istItemId=ilpqatipp&istBid=t&&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157|acid:534-693-8244|cid:9548734236|agid:97250275665|tid:pla-885484997663|crid:422732075684|nw:g|rnd:9077891672770837291|dvc:c|adp:unsure:mt:unsure:loc:9045046&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=9548734236&utm_term=8995021&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=97250275665&utm_custom2=534-693-8244&gclid=Cj0KCQiAlsv_BRDtARIsAHMGVSYgyBO4D9jtvAL71R79l3vZuTTpiJ90Lpfdy8Wy6S3LZHh4ZzmA1FEaAtU1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

i would also recommend using these to hang the TV on the with, DO NOT use an SDS drill to drill the holes, that will be to powerful and cause you issues, start the hole off using a small drill bit and work your way up in stages, i advise using Bosch multi-construction drill bits.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-...DgTa5qPY3cRaTIDxbk0aAt9LEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Perfect, thanks for the advice. I've ordered a mount and am just waiting for it to arrive! Have picked up some of the M8 anchors. Will use my cordless to drill these holes for fixing the TV mount, but planning to get use an SDS and core drill to cut a 40mm(-ish) cable channel through the face

Perfect, thanks for the advice. I've ordered a mount and am just waiting for it to arrive! Have picked up some of the M8 anchors. Will use my cordless to drill these holes for fixing the TV mount, but planning to get use an SDS and core drill to cut a 40mm(-ish) cable channel through the face

I know you've already picked them up, but I tend to avoid shield anchors in brick. They're good in concrete, but with brick there's always the risk of splitting it as the fixing is tightened.

The problem here is twofold. First, you can never be sure that you're hitting the centre of the brick with each fixing if drilling through a covering surface layer of plaster or other finish. The same goes for when the position of the fixing holes is dictated by the bracket.

Second, if you hit the edge of the brick or the mortar space between then as the anchor is tightened then it's like hitting in a metal wedge. It puts a lot of sideways pressure on the fixing hole, and if that's either in something soft then it won't grip so well, or on the edge of the brick there's a risk it will crack it open. In both situations the anchor loses its grip.

The shout for the Bosch drill bits and working up in stages is a good one. You should be able to use them without engaging hammer action on your drill. That will lessen the trauma to the wall if you're unsure of its strength.

Provided that the fixing holes are cleared of dust first, then plastic plugs work well in brick because they provide a soft deformable boundary. It both grips the wall and the screw.

Where I've wanted a very strong fixing and been unsure of the strength of the brick work then I have used a two-part resin with threaded rod metal studs. This won't suit everyone, but where the stud heads will be hidden by a TV, and there's time to allow the resin to cure before the final tightening (approx 15-20 mins unless you use the rapid set product which cures way too fast for a DIYer), then the strength of the fixing can't be beaten by any plug or sleeve anchor. A side bonus is there's none of the 'did I make the hole too big?' worry because the resin fills the space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back