TV tuning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, help please before I bury this TV. I purchased a Medion TV model P15494 tuned it in and all the channels are a mess. BBC1 is on number 11 instead of number1. Number 1 is ITV, channel 10 is on 66, channel 20 is on 63. All the channels are wrong. Medion sent me another set and this one is the same. I have done a first time set up just the same, I have done an auto scan still the same. I phoned free view at Sudbury who said to do a manual tune told me how and gave me the frequency numbers still no luck. Can anyone help before I go mad. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The Medion web site doesn't list a user manual for your TV, so unless someone else (or you) can come up with al link then it'll be up to you to read the advice here and then reference your TV user manual about how to do the various tasks.

Looking at the TV specs this telly doesn't have a Freeview HD tuner, so we're just dealing with the standard definition channels. Do you live in an area that gets TV transmissions from tow different areas i.e. Yorkshire TV and Granada?

After you had the TV complete an auto-tune, did you see an option to set your TV region? If not, please have a look at the manual about the tuning procedure. If yes, did you select it and set to the correct region for your location? If you didn't, please go do a full factory reset (shipping condition reset) so that the tuning memory is wiped clean (very important, that bit otherwise it'll just refresh the existing channel memories rather than starting from scratch ) and then do a retune and set your TV region after.

If none of those options are available, or you've done all and get the same result, then I'm afraid your remaining option is to re-orderthe channels by manually editing them.

A DVB-T receiver and a Freeview receiver are not quite the same. I got this Polaroid TV from Asda it also does not follow Logical Channel Number or LCN.

In fact with the Polaroid you can't even arrange them latter, as channel 1 to 100 is analogue you can't have digital until after 100, however if you read my problems here you will see what you lose on the roundabouts you gain on the swings.

With the Polaroid I can record to an external hard drive, the internet bit works well, and you can have programs arranged so plus one hour follows the standard time and get rid of all silly programs. OK mine cost £19 more. It does have HD not sure about yours?

I always felt the old HD ready TV's were a swizz, I expected when HD started they would then receive it, however to get HD I had to buy set tops boxes, the screen was HD but not the receiver.

Manual here it seems have I got it right?

DVB-T is an abbreviation for "Digital Video Broadcasting — Terrestrial"; it is the DVB European-based consortium standard for the broadcast transmission of digital terrestrial television that was first published in 1997 and first broadcast in the UK in 1998.

DVB-T2 is an abbreviation for "Digital Video Broadcasting – Second Generation Terrestrial"; it is the extension of the television standard DVB-T, issued by the consortium DVB, devised for the broadcast transmission of digital terrestrial television. DVB has been standardized by ETSI.

As of 2014, it was implemented in broadcasts in the United Kingdom (Freeview HD, eight channels across two multiplexes, plus an extra multiplex in Northern Ireland carrying three SD channels).

Digital Video Broadcasting - Satellite - Second Generation (DVB-S2) is a digital television broadcast standard that has been designed as a successor for the popular DVB-S system. It was developed in 2003 by the DVB Project, an international industry consortium, and ratified by ETSI (EN 302307) in March 2005.

Logical Channel Number. The LCN is the digital channel number that is used to select a channel on your box, for example 1 for BBC1 or 40 for BBC News 24. LCNs are constant, just as you might find almost every analogue TV has BBC1 on the first button, BBC2 on the second and so on.

An electronic program guide (EPG) is an application used with digital set-top boxes and newer television sets to list current and scheduled programs that are or will be available on each channel and a short summary or commentary for each program. EPG is the electronic equivalent of a printed television program guide.

It would be great if all TV’s had LCN and weeks EPG however it seems this is not the case, with the Sky box the LCN and EPG works well, but with other boxes and TV’s it seems to be hit and miss. Specially with satellite, where often you need to tune into the channel before the guide starts to work, and even then it lags behind. My old Panasonic TV worked very well, the old LG TV was slow and patchy which was a pain as the LG had a built in hard drive so you really needed the week EPG so set it up to record. With some set top boxes all I got was now and next.

Today with “Smart” TV’s the program guide could be sent on the internet, but it seems it rarely is, only Sky seems to have integrated so you can click on a program either internet or live and it will record it for you.

I have many times returned to the TV or set top box set to record and it has failed, again Sky seems to have got it right, and very rare for the Sky box to miss one.

If I bought a TV costing £500 and above I would expect the TV to have all bells and whistles, but last two TV’s cost £150 each, one 32” the other 43” and for that price I have to expect there will be some problems. I had not a clue what LCN was until after I bought my TV's. And as to EPG it is pot luck. At home my TV is in real terms a simple monitor, the Sky + HD box does all the clever stuff. So I do not want to pay out for a all bells and whistles TV. At my mothers house however the Sky is not really set up, and it would be nice to have Freeview working. However it seems Freeview can't make up their minds what they are doing, so it is a regular thing to get a notice coming up asking one to retune. But it is cheap, not free you need a licence, but still cheap.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all idea's, it seems I only have 2 ways round this, 1 live with it 2 change all the channels manually, but at the price I will stick with it. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back