TV upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've got a TV upstairs build in with freeview but haven't got an outdoor ariel connected upstairs, i've got it downstairs, would I be able to connect a indoor ariel to the TV upstairs to receive freeview?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I've got cable downstairs and a loop ariel with a freeview box upstairs.

Depends on how strong the signal is in your area. If you have an indoor aerial, plug it in and try it. If not, you could always buy one and if it doesn't work, return it - cheeky but been done before.

Best bet is to split the signal from the aerial with a proper distribution amp and run feeds to both TVs from the outside aerial.

I am presuming that you have freeview downstairs if not you need to check such things as what group your aerial is and if it's correctly aligned.

Usually, indoor aerials are pants and this shows up even more so on digital where low signal can lead to pixelated images, drop outs and nasty sounds.

Sponsored Links
TV receivers have a threshold signal below which they will not work and this varies. Portable sets often have better quality receivers to be able to work with smaller aerials.

For aerials this reviews their performance A while back I also found a site comparing the boxes and what signal they required to work.

We get some results
JVC TU-DB1 -80dBm
HUMAX F2 -70dBm
MATSUI DTR1 -82dBm
ECHOSTAR / ECHOVIEW -75dBm
Technisat Digipal2: QAM16= -85dBm, QAM64= -79dBm
Technisat Digicorder T1: QAM16=-85dBm, QAM64=-79dBm
DIGIFUSION FR101 -82dBm
HUMAX PVR 8000T -70dBm
Televes DTR7288 -75dBm
GOODMANS GDB4 & GDB3 -82dBm
SAGEM ITD64 -90dBm

What they is there is a huge difference between boxes and I have noted my Thomson box is no where near as good as my Panasonic TV and my PCi card in my PC is not as good as Thomson box.

So even if we knew how far away and what power was transmitted from your local transmitter no one could work out if you could receive the TV signal strong enough to view.

Interference also is a factor with Sky boxes, Freeview boxes, and games machines all having RF outputs which can degrade any signal.

So only method is to try it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back