TV wall mounted above fireplace - what about sky boxes etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m looking to wall mount a 55inch TV above a fireplace (not used) to save space by not having it on a stand and would appreciate any advice and guidance along with any recommendations please.

I did look at getting a media wall built but really like the marble fireplace and it would be a shame to get rid of it so if possible I would like to wall mount the TV above.

I know that I would have to get an electrician to install new sockets on the wall behind the TV but where do people put their SKY boxes etc and what is recommended for my setup? I understand on a media wall the sky boxes etc would go behind the TV which would be on a moveable mount but what about wall mounted TVs on traditional walls ?

Many thanks
Lauren

4E8209E4-7A53-496C-8277-155F85DFE979.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Hi,

If you haven't already seen this thread:
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/how-best-to-hide-cables-etc.580383/
It could be worth a look. There are some problems that are very similar to yours.

I suspect many will say, mounting a TV that high, would be a mistake!
You are free to make your own choices, but you may want to sit down and stare up at the mirror for 1/2 an hour and see how comfortable it is :)

Edit:

As seen in your post in the 'Building' section; you have got an unused flue behind the fireplace - you do have the option to run cables through there. To an extent the sky boxes etc. could be anywhere (allowing for remote control functionality, obviously! :) )

Last edited:
A s stated a TV above a fireplace is too high. You will get a crick in the neck. Sky boxes are often put in the alcoves at the side but you don't seem to have any. What is that unit to the left? Could they go in there?
Don't forget an aerial feed. Many people get rid of sky due to their high prices. Local TV channels are not carried on sky either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back