Wall mounted tv

6 Jun 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I am wanting to mount 3 TVs to my walls around my house.

I will have a cabinet at low level below the tv with a sky box on and possibly a DVD player.

My question is how should I wire this?

I was thinking the following

At low level behind cabinet...
Double socket
Twin Satalite point fed from sky dish

At high level behind tv
Double socket
Ethernet point wired back to router
Standard Ariel point fed from standard Ariel.
2 HDMI leads down wall cavity to cabinet height?

Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
At low level you should include at least one Ethernet connection and an aerial connection. Networking can now be considered a central part of TV and AV gear. Yes, I know you can use wireless, but there are a few situations where wireless will fall over or get bogged down but wired does not. Sky makes use of downloads quite a bitand you may end up streaming your own content via the network too so a decent speed connection with rock solid stability is a good investment.

The aerial connection is there should you ever decide to ditch Sky and go for a Freeview PVR instead.

Since DVD players are pretty much dead and buried now then go for a compact Blu-ray player instead. They play both formats: DVD and Blu-ray. The players use HDMI rather than SCART.

High level Have a think about sound. Nearly all TVs are wafer thin now, so that means there's not a lot of room for speakers. The chances are high that sooner or later you'll end up adding a sound bar. Budget sound bars will use an optical connection from the TV. [TIP: Avoid any sound bar that has only an analogue input via stereo phono (red & white) or 3.5mm jack (same size as the headphone jack on an iPod). You'll either end up with a messy-looking and difficult-to-use connection from the TV, or having to buy an optical to stereo phone converter and then try to power it and conceal it behind the TV which is a P.I.T.A.] Higher-specified sound bars make use of HDMI ARC.

It's very likely that with a basic sound bar you'll need only two connections: power and a signal cable (optical or HDMI). It's your choice whether you decide to conceal those in-wall or have them run surface mounted. Low profile trunking such as D-Line is useful for concealing surface mounted cables.

Did we help? If so, then please use the THANKS button to show your appreciation on EACH reply you found helpful. It's free, costs you nothing; and it is the best way of saying thank you to those who gave you the benefit of their time and their expertise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links