Sending Coaxial single over Ethernet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

So I've made a slight mistake on my AV setup when I refurbished my house.
Originally I was going to use Virgin Media so had a cable run from the front of my house under the floor to my Zero Node under the stairs.

However ive now got BT Infinity with a YouView Box.
The problem is that it needs to be attached to a TV Ariel and there is no TV Ariel going into the Zero Node under my stairs.

The mistake we made was to have the TV Ariel cable come down through the wall behind the TV (which is on the opposite wall behind the plasma TV which is also mounted on the wall).

There is an ethernet cable running and HDM cable running from behind the TV to the Zero Node I was thinking perhaps I could send the Coxial single over it to the you view box.

Hmm I appreciate I may not have explained this very well quite had too.

I think the only other alternative is to use existing cable to install a free Stat then install a AV Receiver just to switch between the two. As the Youview box will still work just with the Sky channels.

Sponsored Links
You can't send a TV aerial signal over twisted-pair data cable.

You might be able to put the youview box near the aerial and run the sound/video/remote control signals from the youview box to the TV over the data cable though.

Sponsored Links
Well I am surprised, but the CPC page seems to say you just use one of those converters at each end, but the PDF talks about hubs.

If you are talking about single channel modulator output then you may well get away without a balun, as there's plenty of power to overcome signal losses and interference. Multi channel direct from an aerial though is rather more fragile.

Well I am surprised, but the CPC page seems to say you just use one of those converters at each end, but the PDF talks about hubs.

If you are talking about single channel modulator output then you may well get away without a balun, as there's plenty of power to overcome signal losses and interference. Multi channel direct from an aerial though is rather more fragile.

Yeah, I have not tried it, but it appears it can work. Thing is it will be a costly experiment. Still just might be easier to try running cable somehow.

https://www.cyberselect.co.uk/video/muxlab-500302-rftv-balun-pair (£90)

They claim it works for UHF TV aerials, though to be honest I find that surprising because of the frequencies involved. If you choose to buy one, talk to them first and tell them you'll want a refund if it doesn't work! Consider adding an aerial amplifier at the input end.

DTV goes up to around 850 MHz in UK. They appear to work up to 900 MHz. Should work. As long as the cable run isn't too long and its good quality. But yea might need amp for higher freq channels.

Last edited:
Although the bandwidth of the balun goes up to 900 MHz, the cable itself has significant attenuation at that sort of frequency (depending on length). For example, gigabit Ethernet only needs 250 MHz. Would be interested to know if you can make it work, please let us know!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back