tv wall mounting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i have just registered on here so firstly want to say hello to all on here

secondly as usual the newbies first question ( of many probably lol )

ok im not new to diy, i have done many things around my house but if i come across something i havent done before i always seek expert advice before i go ahead with it.

i need to mount my 42" lcd tv on the wall and even though i have done 3 before now this one is a little different. this one i want to mount on an inner dividing wall, the house was built in the beginning of the 1940's and by the feel and experience of previous drilling it is a single layer brick with relevant plaster top wall. all i need to know is will the wall be strong enough to support the tv and are there any reccomendations for fixings best used

many thanks for your time and help in advance

happy new year to all

Sponsored Links
Welcome and Happy New Year,

This topic has been done to death the last few days. It won't take much reading of the previous posts on your part to find info on all of the options with relevant links to the hardware required. :)

just drill,plug and screw,will be fine if the wall is as you've described.

Sponsored Links
ok after a long delay in getting round to this project i have test drilled the wall to establish exactly what material has been used for this interior wall and it seems to be a building block/breeze block not brick which was my first guess. i believe its building block as the drill dust coming out is black and not grey.

im pretty sure that the wall is original from when it was built ( around the 1930's ) so i re-ask my original question what fixing method should i use? i was thinking m10 x 70mm wall anchor bolts but not sure how many to use if they are suitable.

i will probably use more than really required as i am a rather be safe than sorry kinda person especially with a 3 year old wandering around the place

The advice remains the same.

IMO mechanical fixings are only as good as the strength of the material the are driven in to. If the material is crumbly (breezeblock etc) or there's a risk of it cracking from overzealous tighteneing then use a chemical/resin anchor instead. For about £5 more than the cost of big rawl plugs & screws you can have something that will provide more grip and it will strengthen the block it is being anchored within.

Have a look here and read the user comments

I think it can support your TV as it just weight less than 160 lbs

Hi Everyone :D

Just wondering and i know its probably been asked before?!

what size fixing should I use to wall mount a 42" tv??!!!

Any ideas would be useful?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back