TV's with USB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello peeps.

Not sure if this should be in the computer geek forum but maybe frequenters of here may know.

TVs seem to come with USB sockets now days and my brother inlaw has a HDD hooked up which plays music and films and photos etc direct onto the screen.

I am looking at getting something similar to use for teaching and wondered if there are any televisions that you could present a power point presentation onto. Seeing as larger teles are a lot chearper now was thinking of using one instead of a projector. I know you can convert ppt into avi and play it. but would prefer to play as a presentation using the remote as the controller. I want to avoid having to have the computer plugged into the TV in order to runt the presentation also.

thanks in advance.

Rob

Sponsored Links
Our bedroom TV has an RGB input so I use it with a Mac Mini as a "Media Centre". I'd think that any TV with a suitable input (RGB, HDMI) will work as a monitor for a computer with compatible output.

Edit: I just read you last line! You don't want the computer attached. In that case you'd have to export your PPT presentation as a DVD or similar file that lets you pause. I can't see an obvious way to do that. Much better to hook up a Netbook or similar.

Thanks for the input

I know that would be the better option with the computer, but it is for using at an army cadet hut where not everyone will have access to a computer where if it was usb we could produce our presentations at home or in the office and then just take them in on usb to the classroom, as its more difficult to break a usb stick or drive etc.

Sponsored Links
I have been producing AV's (Audio Visual) presentations using Pictures2exe and it makes the Microsoft power point look like something out of the ark. It will produce as MP4 as well as an exe file and runs great on my Blu-ray or DVD player both with USB sockets.

Also work great on my Iphone.

PhotoStage Slideshow Producer not quite as good as Pictures2exe (which seems to be industrial standard) but still far better than power point for making a presentation.

There are free versions of both with either a banner saying trial version or limited options to file types. Primary designed to display still pictures with a sound track but the way one can scroll and zoom in and out is more like using flash but more user friendly.

However I have found the odd MP4 file which my blu-ray player reports as corrupt but will play on my Iphone or PC. Never really worked out why. I will guess wrong quality?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back