Twin and earth wiring outside for an outdoor light??HELP!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I no very little to do with the regs surrounding electrical cable installation but on removing a faulty floodlight the other day i noticed the electrician we had used last year to install the light has used what looks to me like twin and earth cable to wire the light to the kitchen ceiling rose.

On looking for a new light i came across something on Homebase on installing the light from scratch and it mentions using "rubber-sheathed 1mm2 3-core flexible cable". Can anyone tell me out right if the installation of my light with the twin and earth does not fullfil BS7671 wiring regs. I have never seen an outdoor light wired with this type of cable.

Urgent help required

Mandy

Sponsored Links
T&E should not be used externally without additional protection from the environment, this would normally be conduit.
As it can be damaged by sunlight, frost, plant growth and rodents.

And BS7671 would state that cable should be used that is suitable for the environment and any external influences.

Normal twin and earth isn't UV stabalised hence is not really suitable for use outdoors.

I've seen many a external light installed with T+E, where the T+E simply comes out of the wall directly into the back of the fitting & isn't exposed to the elements.

Sponsored Links
Under canopy, porch TE is ok, and for small runs between exit of wall and fitting position it does get used.

Ideally a black rubberised 3 core is much better, best of all is conduit covering but that can look bulky.

NYY does a good job provided the area means the cable is away from hazards such as garden tools and the like. Where there is risk, metal conduit or swa is the answer.

I have seen many outside lamps connected up via T&E cable which is exposed and after 15-20 years of being there its still ok. Maybe a little bleached by the sun, but never the less, still intact and working. Doesnt mean its right though... Not something which is best practice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back