Twin wall flue through outside wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a woodburner in my house (an upside down timber framed - cement harled face structure). My original plan was to take the flue from the rear of the appliance and up through ceiling into the roof void and then outside. However, the wife doesnt like the position of the appliance because it sticks to far out into the room. An alternative which moves the appliance 200mm closer to the wall is to run the flue though the wall and then up the outside of the house which bring me to my questions:

1. Do I have to have a 135 degree Tee on the outside of the wall? I am assuming that cleaning will be done through the appliance itself as the Tee will be 5m from the ground its seems unlikely that it will be used for cleaning and I be worried about staining on the outside wall from soot etc.

2. What the best way to seal between the wall liner and flue and to tidy up around the wall liner and outer face of the wall. I know the obvious answer is loads of silicon but Im hoping there is a better way

Sponsored Links
A 135% tee makes cleaning easier, although 5M is a long way up. A fireproof rope should be used to seal between the sleeve and flue pipe. Sand/cement can be used to make good between the sleeve and wall, or mastic or you prefer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back