Twisting wire

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have a garden incinerator cage, a 4-sided thing made of rectangular steel mesh panels with a steel rod frame to each. It has metal clips to hold the verticals tother, but these have rusted and broken. I was thinking I could repair it by twisting wire round the uprights of the frames, however a thin galvanised wire would quickly lose its coating due to the heat, then rust away.

a metal coat-hanger is thick enough, but I don't see how I can twist it round tightly enough.

Maybe I could use a bit of copper wire? but I don't know if it would stand up to the heat?

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
good idea but I don't want to spend £20.

will look on fleabay and see if I can buy in small quantity

I have a garden incinerator cage, a 4-sided thing made of rectangular steel mesh panels with a steel rod frame to each. It has metal clips to hold the verticals tother, but these have rusted and broken. I was thinking I could repair it by twisting wire round the uprights of the frames, however a thin galvanised wire would quickly lose its coating due to the heat, then rust away.

a metal coat-hanger is thick enough, but I don't see how I can twist it round tightly enough.

Maybe I could use a bit of copper wire? but I don't know if it would stand up to the heat?

Any suggestions?
A good quality pair of pliers would easily cut and twist coathanger wire, there are enough of them about to last a lifetime.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
A good quality pair of pliers would easily cut and twist coathanger wire, there are enough of them about to last a lifetime.

Wotan

I have not yet come across a coathanger that lasts a lifetime.

Mind you, i have not yet lived a lifetime.

How long's a lifetime anyhoo?

nice idea, but surely they are usually galvanised, which will burn off in the bonfire

Whatever you use will deteriorate in time, only takes a few seconds to twist another bit of wire round. You could use something that's been sprayed with heatproof paint? Personally I'd save the money and go short on coat hangers.

Some 310 stainless wire would be ideal... but in the absense of some of that, id use a few twists of the coathanger as suggested. Leave it long, twist with some locking pliers than cut off the excess.
Its only an incinerator, i guess it doesnt need to look special :LOL:

Its only an incinerator, i guess it doesnt need to look special :LOL:

Folk get very attached to their incinerators, I borrowed one off my gardener mate, he said "look after it, it has sentimental value"
He wasn't even joking, he'd inherited it from one of his dead customers :LOL:

Use a coathanger wire & keep a spare coathanger just to replace this wire in a couple of years time :D

For rapid twisting of wire I poke the ends into my cordless drill and run at low speed. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back