Two boiler questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just moved house but kept my old place and rented it out as it wasn't selling. So we stretched ourselves to get both places but we are in and sorted now. I had both boilers in each house serviced and in the rental I had the certificate done. The plumber who it's a mate says the gas valve is leaking a tiny bit into the flue. It's a glowworm 30cxi. I'm still waiting for a price to replace it but is that a common fault? I've got home emergency cover with my home insurance that covers labour and parts up to £100 but I'm not sure how or if I could lean on them for it.

The second one it more of a bother as I'm living there :). It's a potterton puma 100. The first problem is the lifestyle thermostat, it's pants, it turns the CH off for less than a minute then back on. That can't be efficient or good for the boiler? I have a Honeywell CM67 but I suspect the lifestyle one is running 240v.

The house has been empty for a while and when we moved in we had to repair a few leaks. The CH is very noisy, it sounds like loud drips but i think it's bubbles being moved round or blocked in the system. Every two days I have to go and top up the water pressure back up to 2 bar as if I leave it the pressure goes to nothing on the gauge and the boiler is knackered for 20 mins. I did see water leaking from the pressure relief valve but I stopped that. To me it sounds like air is getting into the system but I guess that could only happen with water escaping? I can't find any leaks or wet spots anywhere. Again, I've got home emergency cover so I'm not sure if i should use it.

Cheers

Jon

Sponsored Links
So you find an inconvenient pressure drop and a poorly wired thermostat more of a bother than potentially dangerous gas leak on a property you own and have people (possibly a family with young children?) paying you good money to live in safely?

How did you stop the PRV dripping?

bet hes capped it off and he doesnt need to worry about the let by its going out the flue anyway !!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you find an inconvenient pressure drop and a poorly wired thermostat more of a bother than potentially dangerous gas leak on a property you own and have people (possibly a family with young children?) paying you good money to live in safely?

How did you stop the PRV dripping?

I've been chasing the plumber every day for a price on it. Believe me I am not bein negligent. The lack of speed on the fix is the main reason why I was going to go through the insurance.

I stopped the prv by twisting the red cap. One way opened it up more and tight the other way stopped it

Sponsored Links
Or building up in he combustion chamber ready for a loud pop when the boiler fires :LOL: Hey ho its only a Glow worm.

Should cost around £300 depending on local labour variances.

I stopped the prv by twisting the red cap. One way opened it up more and tight the other way stopped it

You were lucky.

Underlings and apprentices get flayed for doing things like that. Causes more problems sometimes.

You were lucky.

Underlings and apprentices get flayed for doing things like that. Causes more problems sometimes.

Do you have any idea an what the cause of it could be? The noises are mostly upstairs in one area. I've bled the radiators a few times but it seems more air is just coming back. I can't understand how it could loose that much pressure without any signs of water

Several things including a depleted/failed expansion vessel.

Cheers. Also the automatic air vent seems gunked up with calcified water deposit stuff. It's not wet but it looks to have had a constant leaking of water somewhere.

Tbh most people I spoke to on the estate said they have replaced the potterton boilers. I suspect it's 15 years old

Sounds like I need to be replacing it. I am brassic at the moment so a call out and repair might be the only option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back