Two cables to a single dimmer !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single dimmer running eight halogen ceiling lights in the kitchen. I am in the process of putting a metal faced dimmer as a replacement and have noticed the following wiring. There are two cables, each consisting of red wire, black wire and copper wire. Both red wires are connected to the dimmer, one to L2 and the other to wavy/arrow. The black wire and copper wire from both cables are both bent back away from the housing. I assumed that i should connect the new metal dimmer in the same way but place the earth from the new metal plate to the copper wire on one of the cables. A friend has looked at the wiring and stated that i should seek advice so here i am! Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding the reason for the wiring being as it is?
Thanks for your help
Chinno !

Sponsored Links
Chinno said:
I have a single dimmer running eight halogen ceiling lights in the kitchen. I am in the process of putting a metal faced dimmer as a replacement and have noticed the following wiring. There are two cables, each consisting of red wire, black wire and copper wire. Both red wires are connected to the dimmer, one to L2 and the other to wavy/arrow. The black wire and copper wire from both cables are both bent back away from the housing. I assumed that i should connect the new metal dimmer in the same way but place the earth from the new metal plate to the copper wire on one of the cables. A friend has looked at the wiring and stated that i should seek advice so here i am! Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding the reason for the wiring being as it is?
Thanks for your help
Chinno !

1: switch must be earthed. best way is to put a bit cable form the earth terminal on the backbox (with other earths) to th front.

2: are the blacks connected?

Sorry, the back box is plastic with no earth terminal !

Sponsored Links
Chinno said:
No, blacks bent back and separate !

have a look at a light fittin to see if they are used. its possible they have used 2 T&E, used red for lives and the blacks disconnected. if it worked before, connect the same way and it should work again

EDIT: put both earths in earth terminal on switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back