Two change over switches with single rocker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went replace a light switch in a neighbours thinking it was a simple single pole switch. It isn't

It appears to have the function of an intermediate as there are three other switches that control the lamp. I was unaware that there were four switches controlling the light,

It is built as two change over switches operated by a single rocker. It wasn't possible to investigate the mess of wiring due to lack of time but it did not appear to be a "standard" intermediate configuration.

I do recall there is ( or was ) a switch that had two switches operated by a single rocker but cannot locate the manufacturer / supplier.

Anyone have any idea ?

Sponsored Links
Pictures, or I'm going to have to read it again, and i've tried that 3 times.

1697307640483.png

Is very similar in appearance to the faulty switch.

It appears to have the function of an intermediate as there are three other switches that control the lamp. .... It is built as two change over switches operated by a single rocker.
It's obviously simple enough to achieve intermediate switch functionality with two mechanically-linked change-over switched- but it has to be carefully designed to ensure that all the 'breaking' and 'making' happen in the right order :)
I do recall there is ( or was ) a switch that had two switches operated by a single rocker but cannot locate the manufacturer / supplier. Anyone have any idea ?
If that is a generic comment/question (i.e. about 'switches in general), I would think that many/most 2-, 3,and 4-pole isolators are essentially that ...

1697311466261.png
1697311481800.png

...but if you are talking specifically about 'plate switches' and/or 'change-over' switches, then I can't recall having come across that (previously) - but, having just looked, this is apparently a 2-pole changeover switch..

1697311528847.png

....however, none of the above are 'plate switches', and nor do any of them have intermediate switch functionality, so maybe they are not relevant to your comment/question?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Went replace a light switch in a neighbours thinking it was a simple single pole switch. It isn't

It appears to have the function of an intermediate as there are three other switches that control the lamp. I was unaware that there were four switches controlling the light,

It is built as two change over switches operated by a single rocker. It wasn't possible to investigate the mess of wiring due to lack of time but it did not appear to be a "standard" intermediate configuration.

I do recall there is ( or was ) a switch that had two switches operated by a single rocker but cannot locate the manufacturer / supplier.

Anyone have any idea ?
Reminds me of this thread from not long ago...

Post in thread 'intermediate light switch help' https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/intermediate-light-switch-help.606130/post-5433194

The only "6 terminal intermediate switch" I've encountered in the last 50 years has be an outdoor switch, this sort of style
1697330011524.png
but I cannot remember the make and it was simply 2x 2way switches clipped into a frame. I don't recall what instructions came with it but I just wired it up. Sadly I've encountered 'electricians' who've struggled with regular 4 terminal switches and I know they would not cope with a 6 terminal device.

Of course in the old days of ceramic switches with a spin on cover intermediates were juts that; 2 SPDT mechanisms operated by one toggle, IE a DPDT switch and the installer had to wire it themself.

Last edited:
Panel mount Double pole Double throw rocker switches are readilly available from electronics suppliers.

The problem with trying to use one in an electrical installation is that they generally require a deep enclosure. They usually have solder/faston terminals sticking out the back. On a random one I just looked at on Farnell, the depth behind the panel (including the terminals) was 27.2mm. If you solder wires on you might get away with a 35mm box, if you use fastons, you will need an even deeper box.

The only "6 terminal intermediate switch" I've encountered in the last 50 years has be an outdoor switch, this sort of style .... it was simply 2x 2way switches clipped into a frame. .... in the old days of ceramic switches with a spin on cover intermediates were juts that; 2 SPDT mechanisms operated by one toggle, IE a DPDT switch and the installer had to wire it themself.
Yes, as I implied in my last post getting 'intermediate switch' functionality from a DPDT switch (or two mechanically-linked SPDT ones, which is the same) is simply a matter of how they are wired.

If used as an intermediate switch in multi-switch lighting circuits there is no problem. However, as I also implied if it is used for some other purpose (e.g polarity reversal in DC circuits), one has to be sure that the 'breakings' and 'makings' happen in the right order - since, otherwise, their could be a 'bang' :)

Kind Regards, John

I did for one job use an old dimmer switch and put in simple flick switches instead of the dimmer switch modules.
Wilco used to sell flex outlet plates which was an almost flat plate with a cable clamp which was almost impossible to use as it was too close to one side and a central hole at the perfect size for a plastic jack socket and they were 24p for years and years. The single gang switch at 49p was perfect for mounting XLR or Speakon with only a little work with half round file. A blanking plate in the same range was 79p and could be drilled much easier than other makes without cracking/splitting.

However non of this helps Bernard.

XLR or Speakon
Thank you Sunray, :mrgreen: that is the next task, designing a cable harness for a PA system for the village Christmas Fayre. About 300 metres of cable ( exact lengths not known ) with joints/junctions that can be made safely while standing on a fully elevated cherry picker platform.

Thank you Sunray, :mrgreen: that is the next task, designing a cable harness for a PA system for the village Christmas Fayre. About 300 metres of cable ( exact lengths not known ) with joints/junctions that can be made safely while standing on a fully elevated cherry picker platform.
What exactly are you putting up.

My standard system for adhoc runs of loudspeaker cable has, for the last 50 years, been one of these
1697386018400.png
Available in a selection of colours including Christmas red, green and white:cool:

If it's for permanent installation then something better required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back