Two door bells on one push button switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do I wire the bell relays and push button in series circuit ?

Obviously the mains feed to the bells will be parallel.

Sponsored Links
Do I wire the bell relays and push button in series circuit ?
Only if you have bought relays which work on half the voltage of the supply you're switching with the push.

Which you probably have not.

But why are you using relays anyway?

Obviously the mains feed to the bells will be parallel.
Ask yourself why you are not thinking of having the bells in series, and then move on to asking yourself why you think you might have the relays in series.

And if it's not too late, ask yourself why you don't simply have a single bell transformer capable of driving both bells.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If the bell push circuits can't be wired in series, I'll have to run a bell cable for the additional bell to bell push ?

The bell push will be on the secondary circuit of the internal transformer.

If you run another cable from an additional bell you will need a 2 pole bell push. You can't just connect them together as you would get circulating currents.

Sponsored Links
Already have a mains fed bell similar to this one
Either ditch it and look for a system which supports multiple sounders or keep it but disconnect the internal transformer and power it from an external one which is powerful enough to drive two sounders.

You can't just connect them together as you would get circulating currents.

Yes, I see that now, on a separate cable to the same bell push puts the bell push circuits in parallel.

And the bell push circuits can't be wired in series to the bell push ?

If you have the bell pushes in series the bell would only sound if you could manage to press both buttons at the same time!

You need to put your second bell in parallel with the first one and then buy transformer that is big enough to make both bells ring. Most bell/transformers are only man enough to ding-a-ling one.

The secondaries of the transformers cannot be connected together, either in series or parallel.

The former is a crazy idea. I can see how you might have thought it would be OK to have them in parallel, but this:

screenshot_336.jpg

:?:

The secondaries of the transformers cannot be connected together, either in series or parallel. ... The former is a crazy idea. I can see how you might have thought it would be OK to have them in parallel, but this: .... :?:
Certainly crazy - but, provided one got the phases of the transformer secondaries right, it ought to work, shouldn't it? - with the phasing right, one is simply putting double the (single load) voltage across two identical loads in series (just like putting two identical 110V lamps in series across a 220V supply).

Kind Regards, John

The voltage is what ever exits across the bell circuit terminals in the bell unit which, according the pdf in the link kindly quoted above, is 6V.

So two bell wire circuits, in series would give a total voltage of whatever exists in the bell wire circuits.

So the issue, if I'm correct, is would over voltage damage the circuit bell wire circuit ?

The secondaries of the transformers cannot be connected together, either in series or parallel. ... The former is a crazy idea. I can see how you might have thought it would be OK to have them in parallel, but this: .... :?:
Certainly crazy - but, provided one got the phases of the transformer secondaries right, it ought to work, shouldn't it? - with the phasing right, one is simply putting double the (single load) voltage across two identical loads in series (just like putting two identical 110V lamps in series across a 220V supply).

Kind Regards, John

I'm sure that work but the voltage at the bell push would 12v when open. If it is an illuminated type the bulb would not last long!

I'm sure that work but the voltage at the bell push would 12v when open. If it is an illuminated type the bulb would not last long!
That could be true - I was obviously talking about the concept, and was not thinking of illuminated bell push! With a non-illuminated one, it ought to be fine.

If it were an illuminated one with a replaceable bulb, I suppose one might be able to substitute a 12V bulb. In this day and age, it might well be an LED, in which case, if it were designed to run at fairly low current, it might tolerate the 12V (a 2.5V led run from 12V would draw about 2.7 times more current than when run from 6V) - or, of course, if one had the ability (and it were separate and accessible) one could increase the value of its series resistor.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back