Two door bells on one push button switch

Sponsored Links
Yes, also the length of the additional wire will be a factor. there's a lot of vd on that weedy bell wire.
That's certainly another factor. I haven't a clue as to how much current these 'chime' mechanisms draw, do you?
Anyways. Isnt this all academic as the OP has said
I've decided to invest in a new twin bell system, possibly wireless.
One might think so - but he wrote that quite a while back, and has subsequently continued to have a seemingly active interest in discussions about 'engineered solutions' (which some would probably call 'bodges')!

Kind Regards, John

No idea, but i do remember having to re-wire a TWO BELL solution with thicker wire and a transformer with more grunt.

I don't know about you, but I am rather bored with 4 pages of posts for a bloomin' door bell. ;)

Sponsored Links
Wire the bells in PARALLEL, else it'll be ****. You can get bell transformers that go to 15v... which is handy if you have too much volt drop as I did.

Nozzle

Wire the bells in PARALLEL, else it'll be s**t. You can get bell transformers that go to 15v... which is handy if you have too much volt drop as I did.
That's true, but it would entail abandoning the internal transformer and using a separate one. As I said, if it were me, I'd start by seeing if the internal transformer in one of them was man enough to operate the chimes in two - since one never knows!

Kind Regards, John

Having started the job this week, I discovered that the transformer for the old bell is external in the loft and not part of the bell unit.

The transformer has 3v or 5v bell supply options.

Didn't wire the the mains side of the new bell, just used the existing transformer feed.

I wired as follows

1. transformer + to bell push wire.

2. return bell push wire to one end of both bell plunger coils

3. other end of both bell plunger coils to transformer - return

Sadly not enough power to get both bells plungers fully active so I need to get either a 6v or 8v bell transformer.

When I first posted, I thought the old bell had a built in transformer whereas I know now its actually separate so much easier to sought out than trying to link two transformers.

My apologies to all for starting the thread although I've actually enjoyed reading the informative input - as good as techy book from amazon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back