Two Light Switches 2x T&E into 1x 3C&E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two kitchen diner / lights currently operated by a two gang two way switch as shown here:

double-gang-two-way-light-switch2.png

I want to move the switch a few feet, which will require extending the cabling.

Rather than extend both separate cables for each light can I just join on a 3 core cable with both commons joined together?

Note that the existing wiring is from 1994 thus Red / Black T&E

Cable 1
Black L1
Red Common

Cable 2
Black L1
Red Common

Join to

Cable 3
Brown Common (joins to Cable 1 Red, Cable 2 Red)
Black (joins to Cable 1 Black)
Grey (joins to Cable 2 Black)

Sponsored Links
No, keep the two reds separate. Just because they are the same colour it doesn't mean they are fed from the same place or do the same thing.

Sponsored Links
tbh since you have to repair your ceiling anyway I would do it properly and re-run cables of the correct lengths

Moving it from a removed pillar to another pillar 3ft away "as the crow flies".

Cable run is about 8ft. 4ft across 3 beams and down 4ft roughly.

There is an existing 2.5mm cable, which has been removed. I thought 1mm 3core would fit through the free hole easier than 2x 1mm 2core.

What you propose to do seems ok ONLY IF BOTH SWITCHES ARE ON THE SAME CIRCUIT. If you need to isolate more than one fuse or circuit breaker to turn off both lights then you can't do it.

If you can use two twin and earths it might be a bit more logical for any fault finding, though still should be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back