two seperate "funny" noises........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i have two seperate "funny" noises coming from my airing cupboard, which i have now emptied of all the undies and socks etc. etc. the wife is doing her nut.

One of the noises is definitely coming from the pump, i have been given a nearly new pump which i am going to fit this weekend, when i find some PTFE tape and a suitable size wrench !.

The other noise is coming from a round thing with 4 pipes coming out of, most of these pipes are hot, what on earth is it ?, it seems to making gurgling noises as if it has air in it, perhaps something to do with air being in most of the radiators.

So maybe with the replacement pump fitted, the water will get pushed around a bit quicker (and more efficiently) and help me to bleed the radiators easier, i think the noisy pump is about knackered and it seems as though the impellers are worn out so not pushing the water around with much force.

but what is this round thing called please ?

tim

Sponsored Links
Wowe you are on the ball buddy, thanks for the quick response.

Air seperator, do you mean Sludge in the air seperator is the main problem ?, that would be impossible to fix without un-soldering it all !!, a bit out of my scope as a DIY fella !.

tim

look in the bottom of your f/e tank it will tell you alot.

one of the main causes of pumps failing.
could be the pump making the air thats releasing into the air seperator

Sponsored Links
the feed/expanssion tank small one in loft for heating system

GREAT, for the life of me i didnt know it was called that !, i do know what you mean now, so in the bottom of this tank there could be a lot of sludge, am i right so far ?.

thanks for taking the trouble to assist me and being patient with me.

tim

yep it may seem clean till you put your hand in.

sludge_header.jpg

bloody hell, thanks for that buddy, that looks a bit like ****, LOL. is it best to remove all the water first ?

this time last year i had a "plumber" come and fit me a new Motor Valve and i recall him giving this "air seperator" thingie a good clump with a hard object, i suspect that was to clear a bit of the sludge out of the way.

So i suppose also, this sludge is in the bottom of the radiators as well, which is perhaps why they arent working very well !!!.

looks as if i have a very s****y job to do at the weekend !!!!!!!!!!

tim

b****y hell, thanks for that buddy, that looks a bit like ****, LOL.

it is central heating s**t

So i suppose also, this sludge is in the bottom of the radiators as well, which is perhaps why they arent working very well !!!.

are they cooler at the bottom than the top ?

give it a flush through with sentinel x800 or x400

more likely why your going through parts like no tomorrow.

the radiators, well they do seem to be colder , all over, down stairs, most of the upstairs are hot all over, so i suppose the downstairs rads are more sludgy that the upstairs ones,

but you are using big words again LOL, i wouldnt know what a sentinel x800 or x400 is/are ?, i am assuming it is a power jet spray or similar and perhaps i should take the radaitors off the wall to flush them through properly, like out in the garden and kill all the dammed grass LOL.

tim

phew, okey dokey buddy, that seems to be answer for sure, am i correct in thinking that the stuff is simply poured into the feed/expansion tank, suitably cleaned out beforehand (of course).

I can remember using some stuff called fernox (at least two processes) in our previous house about 20 years ago, it definitely worked, but what a bloody game, and the stink that came out when i bled the rads during the cleaning process, i had to open all the windows (and it was in the summer).

i can also recall the game i had draining the rads on the ground floor, the drain points were lower than the door thresholds,so there was always some of the stuff left in the pipe !. I remember it well, so it is a job i am not going to look forward to !.

But do it I MUST, it is the ONLY way to stop HER moaning !. LOL.

tim

if your f/e tank is sludged up try geting most out first before letting it go through the system.
give it a couple of flushes through get most of the loose stuff out and then add you cleaner, fill system and run for a few weeks before draining.

if your f/e tank is sludged up try geting most out first before letting it go through the system.
give it a couple of flushes through get most of the loose stuff out and then add you cleaner, fill system and run for a few weeks before draining.

thanks pal, just a couple more questions please if i may, 1. where does this sludge come from ?, does it somehow get siphoned up from the radiators, 2. when you say flush the system through, do you mean, open the valves each end of all rads, open up the drain taps on all the radiators downstairs and simply pour water in the P/E tank, will that be sufficient ? or would i have to make sure the water actually gets to the top of each radiator by bleeding it first, before i drain it all out ?.

tim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back