two showers on one combi (split thread)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to do a similar thing.

We have a Worcester 40 CDi combi boiler and what I think is pretty high water pressure.

I'm hoping to run two mixer showers on this system.

Couple of questions...

1) are some showers better at dealing with changes in water pressures - for instance if someone turns on a tap somewhere else in the house - or starts running the other shower.

What showers does everyone recommend?

2) what is a satisfactory flow rate for running two showers simultaneously. I'll run a tap into a bucket and calculate the flow rate.

3) would fitting flow regulators help keep the pressure/temperature stable in the shower?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Al ;)

Sponsored Links
Open pipe flow is irrelevant!

You need to know the dynamic flow rate!

The boiler can heat about 6 li/min for each. Thats meagre but about what an electric shower can give!

Tony

Thanks Tony

I'll see if I can get hold of a pressure guage so I can measure this.

I've decided to forget about the second bathroom for a while and get the first one done.

When I eventually refit the second bathroom, I can decide whether to fit an electric or mixer shower.

Now I have a different question. I've been researching my options for the various shower types and don't know whether to go for a thermostatic mixer or a pressure regulating mixer. There seems to be contradictory info out there.

For instance, would I be best to go for a Mira Combiforce or a thermostatic type like the Mira Discovery or Mira Element?

Would any specific type be better in a two shower household?

What do you reckon?

Al

Sponsored Links
The mains flow rate is equally relevant whatever way you heat the hot water!

Tony

Hi

Thermostatic showers will reduce the chance of temperature differences etc if water is demanded elsewhere. If your having 2 showers then maybe worth considering an electric unit as they are good for back up if your boiler ever fails.

Right Tony, I have got myself a pressure gauge.

I put the gauge on our outside tap, then run the upstairs bath cold tap at full tilt.

The gauge showed 64 psi / 4.4 bar with the tap running.
Turned off the bath tap and the gauge showed 115 psi / 8 bar.

I hope this means something to you - it doesn't to me!

Does it mean that I've a reasonable chance of running two showers off my Worcester 40 CDi?

Cheers

Al

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back